Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

range names-Does this make sense?

  1. #1
    Dean
    Guest

    range names-Does this make sense?

    I am trying to copy a sheet from one workbook into another. Both of these workbooks have hundreds of the same range names, but only maybe two (I mean two, not two hundred) exist on this sheet. Nevertheless, when I try to "copy worksheet", it wants to know which version of the range name I want to use for the hundreds of range names.

    Does this make sense? Is copying one sheet from a workbook the equivalent of copying all its range names, even if, for sake of argument, none of them are referenced on that sheet?

    Thanks!
    Dean

  2. #2
    Charlie
    Guest

    re: range names-Does this make sense?

    I opened two workbooks in the same instance of Excel. The second book had
    dozens of book-level named ranges as well as a few sheet-level named ranges.
    I right-clicked on one sheet tab and selected "Move or Copy..." I copied the
    sheet to the first book (check "Create a copy"). The sheet copied over and
    only took it's local sheet-level named range with it. The book-level names
    didn't copy over and I saw no prompt regarding which named range. (I also
    tried this by adding a book-level name exactly the same as the sheet-level
    name. Still no problem.) How are you doing the copy?

  3. #3
    Dean
    Guest

    re: range names-Does this make sense?

    Just the way you are, Charlie. First of all, I did not know there was a
    distinction of sheet level and book level range names. Assuming the range
    that was named is all on one sheet, does that make it sheet level? If not,
    kindly tell me what is the distinction.

    This might be the problem - the sheet being copied might have had a
    reference to another sheet (which, in turn, had references to another sheet,
    which...) which might, ultimately, have 'covered' almost every range name in
    the workbook.

    Does this make sense?

    Thanks!
    Dean

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    re: range names-Does this make sense?

    Hi Dean,

    > First of all, I did not know there was a distinction of sheet level and
    > book level range names. Assuming
    > the range that was named is all on one sheet, does that make it sheet
    > level? If not, kindly tell me what is the distinction.

    See Jan Karel Pieterse' 'Defined Names' pages at:

    http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/ExcelNames.htm

    See also xlDynamic's Names page at:

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  5. #5
    Dean
    Guest

    re: range names-Does this make sense?

    Nice links - thanks - this stuff does get complicated.

    "Norman Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ubQsx9%[email protected]...
    > Hi Dean,
    >
    >> First of all, I did not know there was a distinction of sheet level and
    >> book level range names. Assuming
    >> the range that was named is all on one sheet, does that make it sheet
    >> level? If not, kindly tell me what is the distinction.

    > See Jan Karel Pieterse' 'Defined Names' pages at:
    >
    > http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/ExcelNames.htm
    >
    > See also xlDynamic's Names page at:
    >
    > http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html
    >

    > ---