set cell values based on selection from list

  1. #1
    vhrao
    Guest

    set cell values based on selection from list

    I have a list of four options in a cell. I want to control a set of
    destination cell values based on the user selection of the options from
    the list. As an example: option 1 sets the destination cell values to
    some numbers, where as option 2 may set the values of very same
    destination cells to some other numbers.
    When user selects an option from this list I want to do the following:
    1) Initially reset the destination cells to zeroes
    2) If user sets some values in those destination cells, I want to
    remember the user set destination cell values, as applicable to
    selected option and display it next time.
    I am sure this has been discussed and solved problem. I am new to this.
    Can someone give the right examples?

    Thanks
    Rao

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: set cell values based on selection from list

    Your #2 explanation is a bit difficult to follow. Maybe you are talking
    about dependent lists. An example of this is that you have a Data
    Validation cell (first list), that lists the brands of automobiles, say
    Ford, Chevy, Volvo, etc. Then you have other Data Validation cells with
    lists that change as a function of the selection made in the first list. Is
    this what you want to have? If so, maybe this site can help:

    HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    vhrao
    Guest

    Re: set cell values based on selection from list

    No I do not want to create dependent lists. Instead I want to control a
    grid of 'n' rows and 'm' columns with a set of values (or allow users
    to key in his values in the grid) when an option is selected from a
    list. The same grid of very same 'n' rows and 'm' columns should hold
    another set of values (or allow users to key in another set of values
    in the grid) when another option is slected from a list.

  4. #4
    vhrao

  5. #5
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: set cell values based on selection from list

    Ok, so you're not looking for dependent lists. When you say you want to
    "control" a range of cells, what you refer to as a "grid", means to me that
    you want to restrict the entries that can be made. In other words, you can
    enter this but you can't enter that. Then you say the user can enter his
    own values. Do the same restrictions apply to the user as they do
    to.........what is the source other than the user? Are all the cells in
    this grid restricted to the same values or does each cell have it's own
    allowable list?
    I'm pretty certain that you will need VBA for this but you will have to
    furnish a lot more detail about what is allowable for what selection and for
    what cells. HTH Otto