How many excel processes can you open?

  1. #1
    Stanley
    Guest

    How many excel processes can you open?

    Hi,

    i have created a web application which opens an excel sheet, enters some
    data, calculates the data and retrieve the outcome of the calculation. This
    application will be used by lots of people. Now i have heared that not too
    many excel processes can be opened on the server (about 5). What is true
    about this? Will this be a problem for me?

    Thanks,

    Stanley

  2. #2
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: How many excel processes can you open?

    From what I understand, neither Excel nor the other Office components are
    not supported to run in a server environment. Doesn't mean you can't, but
    it's not design for it. I can't find a link at the moment to back that up at
    the moment, so I may be mistaken.
    I suppose the limit of instances would be determined by memory:
    http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm
    You would need to take of instance not closing as expected.

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: How many excel processes can you open?

    Too many negatives: "..neither Excel nor the other Office components are
    supported..."

    Having said that, does this help ?

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Stanley
    Guest

    Re: How many excel processes can you open?

    Hi Nick, thnx for the response. So it sounds plausible that you can open as
    many excel processes as you can as long as memory accepts it. Think that
    won't be a problem than.
    Also, i have read that automating excel through web application is not
    supported. But i did manage to get it working. I only need to insert data,
    call a macro and read the outcome. I'm not doing any strange things with the
    excelsheet.

    Regards,

    Stanley