How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

  1. #1
    Bathan
    Guest

    How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

    Hi!

    Im having some trouble trying to get Excel full version. Im working
    with Excel 2003 and I need to know if its professional or "Basic" and
    if it has any Service Packs.

    My code is written in C#, I can get the "global" version (11.0) but not
    the real/full one (11.8033.8028 for example).

    Is there any way to find out the Excel/Office version using Automation
    ? Any code in any language will be appreciated.

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Jake Marx
    Guest

    Re: How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

    Hi Bathan,

    Bathan wrote:
    > Im having some trouble trying to get Excel full version. Im working
    > with Excel 2003 and I need to know if its professional or "Basic" and
    > if it has any Service Packs.
    >
    > My code is written in C#, I can get the "global" version (11.0) but
    > not the real/full one (11.8033.8028 for example).
    >
    > Is there any way to find out the Excel/Office version using Automation
    > ? Any code in any language will be appreciated.

    You can get the major version # and the build # by using the Version and
    Build properties of the Application object:

    Debug.Print Application.Version
    Debug.Print Application.Build

    This will help you determine what version and SP level the user is on:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821549

    I'm not sure how you would go about determining the "type" of Excel install
    (ie, basic, pro, dev). Maybe the registry would have what you need?

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\ProductVersion\ProInfo

    Or you could enumerate the subkeys of:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Registration

    And look for one with "ProductNameNonQualified" = "Microsoft Office 2003".
    Then look for a value in that key named "ProductName", which for me is
    "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003".

    Jake Marx
    www.longhead.com

  3. #3
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

    "Professional" or "Basic" (or "Small Business Edition," for that
    matter) refer to Office editions and not Excel editions. Excel in all
    Office 2003 installations are fundamentally the same, the differences
    being whether any Service Packs or Add-ins are installed. We use all
    three Office editions, and Excel is exactly the same version in every
    installation.

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

    Bathan,
    What difference would this information make for you ?

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Bathan
    Guest

    Re: How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

    The thing is that we use XML Maps on excel to generate some reports.

    Excel Basic (sp1 and/or 2) doesnt seem to have this option.

    I get an error message when i try to do this:

    ListObject oList = oSheet.ListObjects[ 1 ];

    oList.XmlMap.ImportXml( xml, true );

    The error message is (!exactly byt close) : "This feature is only
    available on Office 2003 Professional".

    Additionally, if I open my Excel template with Excel Basic(we have
    templates with lists mapped to XML DataSources) i cannot find the XML
    SubMenu on "Data" menu , it simply does not exist.

    So basically, it seems that to work with XML I need Office 2003 Pro

    Thanks a lot for all the tips!!!

  6. #6
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

    Bathan,
    There is no "Excel Basic" v. "Excel Pro". That applies to Office.
    I imagine most people buy the whole Office suite, but (in the past anyway)
    you can buy Excel, Word, etc separately. So I suppose it possible for to
    have mix of of Office app installed. What this would mean for the version of
    Office, I have no idea.
    As for the SP installed for a particular version/app, see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255275
    Whilst this applies to Office 2000, I imagine a similar mix applies to later
    versions.

    You could start a WB that only uses features supported on all versions and
    check the version of Excel installed and/or the version of MSOx.dll.
    If 2003, open the WB that uses these XML features. If not, inform the user
    their system is not compatible and exit.

  7. #7
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

    I got this from Microsoft's Office 2003 information doc (emphasis
    mine):

    "Although XML is implemented in *ALL* the Microsoft=AE Office 2003
    Editions, this chapter focuses on XML implementation in Office
    Professional 2003."

    I can find no mention anywhere of differences between versions of Excel
    in the various editions of Office 2003. Could it be an add-in issue?

  8. #8
    Mark Lincoln

  9. #9
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: How to obtain Excel (or Office) FULL Version?

    I took a closer look at our installations and it seems that there are
    indeed differences in XML capability in Excel in the various versions
    of Office 2003. To wit: It's available in Office 2003 Professional
    and not in the Basic or Small Business editions.

    >From Excel Help: "XML features, except for saving files in the XML

    Spreadsheet format, are available only in Microsoft Office Professional
    Edition 2003 and Microsoft Office Excel 2003."

    Based on what I see now, I'd guess that means you can get XML features
    only in Office 2003 Pro or in the *standalone* version of Excel.

    I hope I don't have to start using XML features soon....

    Sorry to mislead you in my earlier post.