Help with speeding up vlookup macro

  1. #1

    Help with speeding up vlookup macro

    I am working on a macro to compare two lists of job numbers in two
    separate workbooks. If there are any matches, those duplicate jobs are
    flagged. I used vlookup to accomplish this. My problem is that my
    table_array could have as many as 10000 cells. When I use vlookup to
    check 200 different lookup_values, the processing time is, to say the
    least, massive.

    Is there any way to speed up this process? I had thought of sorting the

    table_array, since there are a lot of blank cells in it. I guess my
    main question is, how would I have one workbook sort a column in
    another workbook?

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    ducky
    Guest

    Re: Help with speeding up vlookup macro

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I am working on a macro to compare two lists of job numbers in two
    > separate workbooks. If there are any matches, those duplicate jobs are
    > flagged. I used vlookup to accomplish this. My problem is that my
    > table_array could have as many as 10000 cells. When I use vlookup to
    > check 200 different lookup_values, the processing time is, to say the
    > least, massive.
    >
    > Is there any way to speed up this process? I had thought of sorting the
    >
    > table_array, since there are a lot of blank cells in it. I guess my
    > main question is, how would I have one workbook sort a column in
    > another workbook?
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Please post your code so we can look at it and offer suggestions. One
    thing i can say right now though is to investivge
    application.screenupdating = false

    AR

  3. #3
    Sharkbait
    Guest

    Re: Help with speeding up vlookup macro

    Sub ShippedWIP()
    Columns("k:k").Select
    Selection.Insert Shift:=xlToRight
    Range("B26").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Select
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 9).Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "1"
    Range("k26").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 =
    "=VLOOKUP(RC[-9],'[crViewer.xls]Sheet1'!R1C2:R1000C2,0,FALSE)"
    Range("k26").Select
    Selection.FillDown
    Columns("k:k").EntireColumn.AutoFit
    Range("k26").Select
    Do Until IsEmpty(ActiveCell) = True
    If ActiveCell = CVErr(xlErrValue) Then
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, -3).Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToLeft)).Select
    With Selection.Interior
    .ColorIndex = 15
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 10).Select
    Else: ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End If
    Loop
    Columns("k:k").Select
    Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
    End Sub

    I wanted to do this with a sql query, but I am a relative beginner at
    vba/excel. Also, the IT department's backlog is pretty long, so I can't
    get the proper command lines from them. Instead, I keyed off vlookup
    and its associated errors. #Value indicates a match. I have already
    proven that with many runs of my macro. It just takes forever!