NEED HELP - How to disable a cell to restrict data entry

  1. #1
    Sriram
    Guest

    NEED HELP - How to disable a cell to restrict data entry

    Dear Friends,

    I need to disable one or more cells, so that the user can not enter any data
    in those field(s), when the respective cell's value meets some condition.

    For example, if the column heading is say "Pending Job" and its entries will
    be either "Pending" or "Completed". This will be selected by the user in the
    form of List, so he can't enter anything other than these two. Once he
    selected the cell's value as "Completed", then that particular cell should be
    Disabled, so that in future he can't change it again to "Pending".

    Kindly help me how to achieve this by means of Macro codings, because I amde
    the whole file's data and its results are controlled by Macro codings.

    Kindly help me ASAP.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Sriram S

  2. #2
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: NEED HELP - How to disable a cell to restrict data entry

    Sriram,
    Does Data Validation serve you OK ?

    NickHK

    "Sriram" <[email protected]> 撰寫於郵件新聞:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    NickHK

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: NEED HELP - How to disable a cell to restrict data entry

    Sounds like you are already familiar with the Change Event.

    (right click on the sheet tab and select view code, then place this in the
    resulting module if you don't have one or add similar code to your existing
    change event.)

    If target.count > 1 then exit sub
    if target.column = 3 then
    if trim(lcase(target.value)) = "completed" then
    me.unprotect password:="ABC"
    target.locked = True
    me.Protect password:="ABC"
    end if
    End if
    End Sub

    Since your sheet will be protected, make sure that any cells that you want
    to allow entries in are formatted as Unlocked. Change Column = 3 to
    reflect the column number of the column where you want this behavior.

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Sriram
    Guest

    RE: NEED HELP - How to disable a cell to restrict data entry

    Dear Tom,

    Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm trying for that and let you know about its
    functionality soon.

    Now I've come up to you with another query. Kindly help me out ATE.

    I want the last line of the sheet to go down automatically if its previous
    line is entered with data.

    For example, my last line is in 20th row which will be filled with "*"
    (stars). If the user enters in the first column in the 19th row then
    automatically the 20th row having "* stars should go down to 21st row and the
    20th row should get blank and should be ready for the user to enter the data.

    Again if the user enters the data in the first column of the 20th row, then
    the 21st row (which contains "*" stars) shouldgo down one row below and the
    21st row should be blank and ready for the user to enter data.

    Kindly help me to achieve this ASAP.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Sriram

  6. #6
    Sriram
    Guest

    RE: NEED HELP - How to disable a cell to restrict data entry

    Dear Tom,

    I want to know how to send the current working excel file using Microsoft
    Outlook or some other means as an attachment to my email id automatically
    whenever the file is being Closed.

    Kindly let me know how to achieve this using excel macros.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Sriram Subramaniyan

    ----

  7. #7
    Sriram
    Guest

    NEED HELP-Run Time Err '1004' Application defined or Object Define

    Dear Tom,

    I'm getting this run time error '1004' - application defined or object
    defined error and some times
    run timr error '1004' - unable to set the locked property for the range class

    Please Help.

    here is my code.

    On Wrokbook Open :-

    Dim I As Integer
    Dim J As Integer
    Dim LastLine As Integer
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()

    For I = 4 To 500
    If Sheet6.Cells(I, 1).Value = "-" Then
    LastLine = I
    'MsgBox LastLine
    Exit For
    End If
    Next I

    Sheet6.Unprotect Password:="123"

    Sheet6.Cells(1, 6).Value = Date
    Sheet6.Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(2, 256)).Locked = True

    For I = 3 To LastLine - 1
    Sheet6.Cells(I, 7).Locked = True
    Next I

    For I = 3 To LastLine - 1
    For J = 9 To 38
    Sheet6.Cells(I, J).Locked = True
    Next J
    Next I

    For I = 3 To LastLine - 1
    For J = 9 To 13
    If Sheet6.Cells(I, 8).Value = "" Or Sheet6.Cells(I, 8).Value =
    "NR" Then
    Sheet6.Cells(I, J).Locked = True
    Else
    Sheet6.Cells(I, J).Locked = False
    End If
    Next J
    Next I

    For I = 4 To LastLine Step 2
    Sheet6.Cells(I, 9).Locked = True
    Sheet6.Cells(I, 10).Locked = True
    Next I

    Sheet6.Range(Cells(3, 39), Cells(LastLine, 256)).Locked = True
    Sheet6.Range(Cells(LastLine, 1), Cells(65536, 256)).Locked = True

    Sheet6.Protect Password:="123", AllowFiltering:=True

    End Sub

    On Worksheet Change :-
    Dim I As Integer
    Dim Material As String
    Dim Response As String
    Dim Msg As String
    Dim SiteName As String

    If Target.Row Mod 2 = 0 Then
    Material = "SHELTER"
    SiteName = Cells(Target.Row - 1, 5).Value
    Else
    Material = "TOWER"
    SiteName = Cells(Target.Row, 5).Value
    End If

    If Target.Column = 8 Then
    Me.Unprotect Password:="123"
    Select Case (Target)
    Case "":
    MsgBox "SORRY. YOU SHOULD ENTER EITHER REQ. / NR IN THIS
    CELL.", vbCritical, "ERROR"
    Case "NR":
    Msg = "ARE YOU SURE " & SiteName & "'S " & Material & " IS
    NOT REQUIRED?. IF YOU CLICK 'YES' THEN YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE VALUES BACK
    AGAIN."
    Response = MsgBox(Msg, vbYesNo, "CONFIRM MATERIAL NOT
    REQUIRED")
    If Response = vbYes Then
    For I = 9 To 38
    Cells(Target.Row, I).Value = "NR"
    Cells(Target.Row, I).Locked = True
    Next I
    Else
    Target.Value = "REQ."
    End If
    Case "REQ.":
    If Material = "TOWER" Then
    Cells(Target.Row, 9).Locked = False
    Cells(Target.Row, 9).Value = "-"
    Cells(Target.Row, 13).Value = "ND"
    Msg = "PLEASE ENTER THE TOWER TYPE."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "ENTER TOWER TYPE"
    Else
    Cells(Target.Row, 11).Locked = False
    Cells(Target.Row, 11).Value = "-"
    Cells(Target.Row, 13).Value = "ND"
    Msg = "PLEASE ENTER THE SHELTER SUPPLY VENDOR NAME."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "ENTER SUPPLY VENDOR NAME"
    End If
    End Select
    Me.Protect Password:="123", AllowFiltering:=True
    End If

    If Target.Column = 9 Then
    Me.Unprotect Password:="123"
    Select Case (Target)
    Case "-":
    'DO NOTHING
    Case "NR":
    If Cells(Target.Row, 8).Value = "REQ." Then
    Target.Value = "-"
    Cells(Target.Row, 10).Value = "-"
    End If
    Case "GBT", "RTT", "POLE", "DELTA":
    Cells(Target.Row, 10).Locked = False
    Cells(Target.Row, 10).Value = "-"
    Msg = "PLEASE ENTER THE TOWER HEIGHT."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "ENTER TOWER HEIGHT"
    Case Else:
    Target.Value = "-"
    Cells(Target.Row, 10).Value = "-"
    End Select
    Me.Protect Password:="123", AllowFiltering:=True
    End If

    If Target.Column = 10 Then
    Me.Unprotect Password:="123"
    If Cells(Target.Row, 9).Value = "-" And Target <> "-" Then
    Msg = "PLEASE ENTER THE TOWER TYPE DATA FIRST."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "DATA UNACCEPTANCE"
    Target.Value = "-"
    Else
    Select Case (Target)
    Case "":
    Target.Value = "-"
    Msg = "PLEASE ENTER THE TOWER HEIGHT."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "ENTER TOWER HEIGHT"
    Case "-":
    'DO NOTHING
    Case "NR":
    If Cells(Target.Row, 8).Value = "REQ." Then
    Target.Value = "-"
    Cells(Target.Row, 11).Value = "-"
    End If
    Case Is <= 21:
    If Cells(Target.Row, 9).Value = "GBT" Then
    Msg = "INVALID TOWER HEIGHT."
    MsgBox Msg, vbCritical, "INVALID DATA ENTRY"
    Target.Value = "-"
    Else
    Cells(Target.Row, 11).Value = "-"
    Cells(Target.Row, 11).Locked = False
    Msg = "PLEASE ENTER THE TOWER SUPPLY VENDOR NAME."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "ENTER SUPPLY VENDOR NAME"
    End If
    Case Is > 21:
    If Cells(Target.Row, 9).Value <> "GBT" Then
    Msg = "INVALID TOWER HEIGHT."
    MsgBox Msg, vbCritical, "INVALID DATA ENTRY"
    Target.Value = "-"
    Else
    Cells(Target.Row, 11).Value = "-"
    Cells(Target.Row, 11).Locked = False
    Msg = "PLEASE ENTER THE TOWER SUPPLY VENDOR NAME."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "ENTER SUPPLY VENDOR NAME"
    End If
    Case Else:
    Target.Value = "-"
    Cells(Target.Row, 11).Value = "-"
    End Select
    End If
    Me.Protect Password:="123", AllowFiltering:=True
    End If

    If Target.Column = 11 Then
    Me.Unprotect Password:="123"
    Select Case (Target)
    Case "-":
    'DO NOTHING
    Case "", " ", "NA":
    Msg = "DON'T FORGET TO ENTER THE SUPPLY VENDOR NAME LATER."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "INFORMATION"
    Target.Value = "-"
    Case "NR":
    If Cells(Target.Row, 8).Value = "REQ." Then
    Target.Value = "-"
    End If
    Case Else:
    Cells(Target.Row, 12).Locked = False
    Cells(Target.Row, 12).Value = "-"
    Msg = "PLEASE ENTER THE ERECTION VENDOR NAME."
    MsgBox Msg, vbInformation, "ENTER ERECTION VENDOR NAME"
    End Select
    Me.Protect Password:="123", AllowFiltering:=True

    Please Help me at the earliest. Also if you wish give me your email id so
    that I can get in touch with you more easy way.

    My email id is [email protected]

    Sriram