Macro to combine variable multiple rows

  1. #1
    Help?
    Guest

    Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    I am still looking for a solution to this issue?

    I have an excel file that has several people listed several times in
    different rows. The only common information that shows these individuals as
    the same person is their SSN. The same individual is listed several times in
    different rows due to each row showing the same individual with different
    products that they have purchased. Is their a macro that will read the SSN
    column - looking for the same SSN, and if the same SSN exists, combine the
    information into one row?

    The data looks like:

    Amy burden 111-11-1111 LTD
    John Burden 111-11-1111 STD
    sam burden 111-11-1111 CHILD
    kim swafford 111-11-1112 PS 1000
    ale swafford 111-11-1112 PS PLUS

    The reason their are repetive SSNs, but different names are due to family
    members will sign up for different products but they will be listed under
    owners SSN, that is at the beginning of each repetitive SSN. I would like the
    data to look like:

    Amy burden 111-11-1111 LTD STD CHILD
    kim swafford 111-11-1112 PS
    1000 PS PLUS

  2. #2
    ChasAA
    Guest

    RE: Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    Hello,

    Have a look at the VBA forum
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...ID=74&SiteID=1

    I did something similar for someone on there.
    Thread name is "Moving Data"

    ChasAA

  3. #3
    Help?
    Guest

    RE: Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    ChasAA,
    I tried looking for the thread you have given me, but no success. Are there
    anymore suggestions

  4. #4
    ChasAA
    Guest

    RE: Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    Okay, I'll have a look at this tomorrow.
    Is the initial data in three columns?
    Is there only one product per row?
    Where do you want the new data placed?

    After the data is manipulated, do you want only one name per row?
    How is the "owner" of the SSN identified , or is it always the first name in
    the column.

    Will SSN 111-11-1111 ever appear again after 111-11-112 for example?

    Leave me this info and I'll have a look tommorow

    Chas

  5. #5
    Help?
    Guest

    RE: Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    ChasAA,
    Quick response time! I actually found the thread for Moving Data. However,
    it will not work. The data is in columns AA through BE. I would like the data
    to combine listing the information after the last column-in different
    columns. There is only one product per row, but the same individual. The
    product will be different per row, but only one. Also, There will never be a
    common number of times a person will be listed. Some will be listed 16 and
    some 4, depends on the number of products they have purchased.

  6. #6
    ChasAA
    Guest

    RE: Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    I dont understand what you mean "I would like the data to combine listing the
    info after the last column-in different columns"

    Also will SSN 1111 ever appear AFTER 1112? or AFTER 1113?

    Will the first name of the block of SSN's be the "owner"?

    anyway until tomorrow....

    Chas

  7. #7
    Help?
    Guest

    RE: Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    I am looking for the individual with the same SSN to become one row, with
    each prodcut becoming a separate column at the end of the last column of the
    file. The file will be sorted first by SSN so the SSN 1111 will not appear
    again after 1112 or 1113. Yes, the first name of the block will be the owner
    of that sequence of identical SSNs.

  8. #8
    ChasAA
    Guest

    RE: Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    Hello,
    Sorry for the late reply but work has been quite busy.

    Anyway:

    Option Base 1
    Sub combine()
    Dim thisSSN As String
    Dim masterSSN As String
    Dim thisName As String
    Dim off As Integer
    Dim nbrProducts As Integer
    Dim dataArray()
    Dim masterRow As Integer

    Range("B1").Select
    ' This is where your first SSN appears
    Selection.CurrentRegion.Select
    ' Select all the surrounding cells
    Range(Selection, Selection.Offset(1, 0)).Select
    ' add one more row to prevent error in loop
    dataArray = Selection.Value
    ' put all cell data into array

    Range("E1").Select
    ' This is where you would like the combined data to start
    counter = 1

    Do While counter <= UBound(dataArray, 1) - 1
    mastername = dataArray(counter, 1)
    masterRow = counter
    thisSSN = dataArray(counter, 2)
    masterSSN = thisSSN
    thisproduct = dataArray(counter, 3)
    nbrProducts = 0
    Selection.Offset(masterRow - 1, 0) = mastername
    Selection.Offset(masterRow - 1, 1) = masterSSN
    Do While thisSSN = masterSSN
    thisproduct = dataArray(counter, 3)
    nbrProducts = nbrProducts + 1
    Selection.Offset(masterRow - 1, 1 + nbrProducts) = thisproduct
    n = dataArray(counter, 1)
    counter = counter + 1
    thisSSN = dataArray(counter, 2)
    Loop
    Loop
    End Sub

    Chas

  9. #9
    Help?
    Guest

    RE: Macro to combine variable multiple rows

    ChasAA,
    With a little modifications, it worked like a charm!
    Thanks