trace all precedents or dependents

  1. #1
    Dave F
    Guest

    trace all precedents or dependents

    Hi,

    Is there some code I can use to automatically trace all precedents or
    dependents of a cell?

    I.e., a macro or module which I can assign to a button?

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: trace all precedents or dependents

    They're readily available. View>Toolbars>Formula auditing

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

  3. #3
    Dave F
    Guest

    Re: trace all precedents or dependents

    That method required multiple clicks. I'm interested in code which I can
    assign to a button, click once, and have the all of the cell's precedents or
    dependents displayed with tracer arrows.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: trace all precedents or dependents

    if they are on the same sheet, look at the

    directPrecedents
    directDependents
    Precedents
    Dependents
    properties of the range class.

    If they are off sheet or links, then it gets much much harder.

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Dave F
    Guest

    RE: trace all precedents or dependents

    Thanks, Tom. For now I'm just thinking of precedents and dependents on the
    same sheet...

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: trace all precedents or dependents

    My previous post doesn't show the arrows. To do that the easiest way to get
    the code is to:
    Turn on the macro recorder (tools menu -> macro -> record a new macro) while
    you do it manually. Turn off the macro recorder. Then modify the recorded
    code to achieve those same results.

    Tom Ogilvy

  7. #7
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: trace all precedents or dependents

    Dave,
    There is the
    ActiveCell.ShowDependents False
    which adds the next level of dependents' arrow each time you call it.
    I don't see an easy way to know when you have reached the end though.

    NickHK