Referencing Cells of Different Workbook

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    Referencing Cells of Different Workbook

    Hello,
    I am referencing cells of a workbook (cells contain sentences/paragraphs)
    from another workbook. When the workbook (doing the referencing) opens and
    the user chooses "Update" several of the sentences are cut off in a fraction
    of the cells. Is there a limit to the number of characters each cell
    reference can transpose (for lack of a better word) from the second document?
    If there is a limit, does the length of the file path to the referenced
    document count toward the number of characters? Lastly, is there a way to
    capture and display all of the information in each of the referenced cells
    without truncating the information (maybe some sort of copy rather than
    referencing?).
    Please Reply,
    --
    Mike Nowak

  2. #2

    Re: Referencing Cells of Different Workbook

    If the "sending" workbook is closed, then the string is truncated to 255
    characters. If that sending workbook is open, you'll see the whole string.

    I don't know a way around this--except to open the other workbook--or use
    multiple cells in the sending workbook (no more than 255 characters in each).

  3. #3
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Referencing Cells of Different Workbook

    Thanks, Dave. I currently have a macro that opens the "referenced" workbook
    and closes it, as this is the only thing that seemed to work. I thought it
    was a bad perminent fix but it would appear that it is the only fix. Thanks
    for the information.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Michael J. Nowak