Is there a way to calculate 4x10 in a single cell?

  1. #1
    Excell novice
    Guest

    Is there a way to calculate 4x10 in a single cell?

    I am trying to calculate construction measurements.
    I am new to excel but love it.
    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Die_Another_Day
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to calculate 4x10 in a single cell?

    = 4 * 10

    Charles

  3. #3
    Forum Expert oldchippy's Avatar
    Worcester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Posts
    7,097

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Excell novice
    I am trying to calculate construction measurements.
    I am new to excel but love it.
    Thanks,
    Hi Novice,

    Not quite sure what you are trying to do, but try some of these

    if you want the calulation in a single cell, type this

    =4*10

    or if in cell A1 you type 4 and in cell A2 you type 10, then in cell A3 type this

    =A1 * A2

    Alterative click on Help and type formulas and you will get loads of information, or in Google type Excel Tutorials

    oldchippy

  4. #4
    gumby
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to calculate 4x10 in a single cell?

    =SUM(4*10)

  5. #5
    davegb

    Excell novice wrote:
    > I am trying to calculate construction measurements.
    > I am new to excel but love it.
    > Thanks,

    Enter this into the cell:

    =4x10

    Hope this helps.

  6. #6

    Re: Is there a way to calculate 4x10 in a single cell?

    You don't need =sum() surrounding the multiplication:

    =4*10

    is sufficient.

  7. #7

    Re: Is there a way to calculate 4x10 in a single cell?

    Oops.
    x = *
    =4*10

    (If the OP is asking this question, then a typo may scare the heck out of
    him/her.)

  8. #8
    davegb

    Dave Peterson wrote:
    > Oops.
    > x = *
    > =4*10
    >
    > (If the OP is asking this question, then a typo may scare the heck out of
    > him/her.)

    Maybe I've been doing this too long! I think of an asterisk as a
    multiplication symbol and write it as such. Thanks for the catch!

  9. #9

    Re: Is there a way to calculate 4x10 in a single cell?

    You programmers!

    I bet that they'll start teaching gradeschoolers to use * instead of x for
    multiply.

    Calculators will be next to change!