Manipulating Formula

  1. #1
    jk
    Guest

    Manipulating Formula

    Hello,

    On Aug 3 of my orginal posting i was provided an excellent array formula to
    my request below:
    Two for sure dumb questions, why have a column "D" if coulmn "A" is for
    accounts,column "B" is for corresponding dollar amounts and column "C" is for
    the results of sumed account values? Do you hit cntrl shift enter first on a
    cell then enter the formula?

    "Bob Phillips" wrote:

    > C1: =A1
    > C2: =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(0,COUNTIF(C$1:C1,$A$1:$A$20&""),0)),"",
    > INDEX(IF(ISBLANK($A$1:$A$20),"",$A$1:$A$20),MATCH(0,COUNTIF(C$1:C1,$A$1:$A$2
    > 0&""),0)))
    >
    > which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    > just Enter.
    >
    > Copy C2 down as far as you need
    >
    > D1: =SUMIF(A:A,C1,B:B)
    >
    > and copy down
    >
    > --
    > HTH
    >
    > Bob Phillips
    >
    > (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
    >
    > "jk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have column A that contains many account numbers and i have column B

    > which
    > > is a dollar value that corresponds to each account.
    > >
    > > A B
    > > 10023 $25.00
    > > 10024 $20.00
    > > 10025 $25.00
    > > 10023 $25.00
    > > 10026 $25.00
    > > Is it possible to assign cells in column C to sum the amounts which equal
    > > the accounts. For example account 10023 sums up to $50.00 and i would like
    > > each time the account of 10023 is entered into column A ,it would

    > accumulate
    > > the amount in a cell of column C .........can this be done?

    I now need to manipulate the formula to a set of different columns and row.
    Where in this formula does it correspond to row and column? For example, if
    instead of using columns A,B,C,D and row 1 and now wanted to use this
    formula using columns D,E,F,G and starting on row 6.......how do i do that?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Manipulating Formula

    after you type the formula in the cell, hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter rather than
    just Enter to terminate formula entry.

    --
    regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    jk
    Guest

    Re: Manipulating Formula

    Please read to the bottom of my posting since it deals with the formula and
    how to make changes.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Manipulating Formula

    The formula Bob posted for column C creates a list of unique account numbers.
    The formula in column D does a sumif on the original Data (A:B) and give you
    a sum for each unique account number. If you want to that to start in D6:

    F6: =D6
    F7:
    =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(0,COUNTIF(F$6:F6,$D$6:$D$25&""),0)),"",INDEX(IF(ISBLANK($D$6:$D$25),"",$D$6:$D$25),MATCH(0,COUNTIF(F$6:F6,$D$6:$D$25&""),0)))

    Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

    G6:= Sumif($D$6:$D$1000,$F6,$E$6:$E$1000)

    select F6:G6 and pull down

    Tom Ogilvy