Optional Variant

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Optional Variant

    Hi all,

    I have looked at help etc, but nothing there i can undestand.

    Can i get some info on what is 'Optional Variant" in connection with CommandBars?

    What does it do?

    Pros and cons?
    Thx
    Dave
    "The game is afoot Watson"

  2. #2

    Re: Optional Variant

    Optional means that you don't need to use it.

    Variant means that if you do, you'll want to pass a variable that's a variant

    You may get a better answer (you won't get one worse!) if you share the line
    that you're reviewing.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peterson
    Optional means that you don't need to use it.

    Variant means that if you do, you'll want to pass a variable that's a variant

    You may get a better answer (you won't get one worse!) if you share the line
    that you're reviewing.

    Dave Peterson
    Hi Dave,

    Thx for your input. I may have found the answer.

    I thought that you put the actual value "Optional Variant" into the code someplace. But at this site
    it looks to me like its not inserted in the code but is a name for doing something.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...HV05221154.asp

    Thx again

    PS: Dave, i could very well get a worse one. <bg>

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Optional Variant

    At a guess, you are refering the .Add method.
    <From Help>
    Add Method (CommandBars Collection)
    Creates a new command bar and adds it to the collection of command bars.
    Returns a CommandBar object.
    Syntax
    expression.Add(Name, Position, MenuBar, Temporary)
    expression Required. An expression that returns a CommandBars object.
    Name Optional Variant. The name of the new command bar. If this
    argument is omitted, a default name is assigned to the command bar (such as
    "Custom 1").
    ...... etc
    </From Help>

    As in the explanation, "Optional" refers to the fact that you do not have
    the supply this argument. If you do, then it is used for the Name, if not, a
    default is supplied.
    As for the "Variant" part, you can basically supply an data type, as long as
    it's value can be coerced into a valid value for Name.

    NickHK

    "Desert Piranha"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by NickHK
[...]

    Hi Nick,

    So its nothing i need to be concerned with, as i work with CommandBars.
    I either name them (which i would) or i don't, and don't worry about it..