Why aren't dates always available to group in pivot tables?

  1. #1
    JLM
    Guest

    Why aren't dates always available to group in pivot tables?

    I download data that gives me sales number by individual day. I build a
    pivot table to get total sales by day and then group the process day by month
    or quarter. Sometimes this works perfectly, while other times I get the
    message 'Cannot group that selection'. Has this happened to anyone else? Is
    there a limit to the number of rows or columns that can be grouped?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Why aren't dates always available to group in pivot tables?

    You'll see that error message if the date field contains a blank cell,
    or text entry. There's a bit more information, and some workarounds, here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    cs02000
    Guest

    Re: Why aren't dates always available to group in pivot tables?

    I played around with the grouping for a while and found that if I
    deleted a couple of date entries (to cause the error) I was unable to
    regroup the date field after restoring the deleted dates.

    --
    cs02000

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Why aren't dates always available to group in pivot tables?

    You cannot have any blanks, text, or non date entries in a date field if you
    want to be able to group the dates.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Why aren't dates always available to group in pivot tables?

    After restoring the dates in the source data, remove the date field from
    the pivot table
    Refresh the pivot table
    Add the date field to the pivot table, and you should be able to group
    the dates.