xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V plot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    mark
    Guest

    xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V plot

    I want to plot similar values in the x and y directions and I want the axis
    to be the same scale. If it were a map. I would want the map to be the same
    scale in both the x and y directions. I could then measure angles or
    distances on the graph correctly.

    The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the scale on the x and y
    axis independantly and then automatically stretches the axis (x and y) to fit
    the page. the result is that the graph is not true scale in both directions.

    Otherwise, I need to use another program or autocad to plot my values.

  2. #2
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V plot

    mark wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:02 -0700:

    m> The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the scale
    m> on the x and y axis independently and then automatically
    m> stretches the axis (x and y) to fit the page. the result is
    m> that the graph is not true scale in both directions.

    But you can make the units of x and y the same and make the
    chart area square by clicking on it and moving the markers. I
    don't know how to do this automatically but I can do it
    satisfactorily, IMHO, by eye. I suppose I could hold a ruler to
    the monitor to make it more exact.

    James Silverton.

  3. #3
    mark
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of stretching the graph,
    but to get it correct, you do end up printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "James Silverton" wrote:
    >
    >> mark wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:02 -0700:
    >>
    >> m> The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the scale
    >> m> on the x and y axis independently and then automatically
    >> m> stretches the axis (x and y) to fit the page. the result is
    >> m> that the graph is not true scale in both directions.

    >> But you can make the units of x and y the same and make the
    >> chart area square by clicking on it and moving the markers. I
    >> don't know how to do this automatically but I can do it
    >> satisfactorily, IMHO, by eye. I suppose I could hold a ruler to
    >> the monitor to make it more exact.

    >I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of stretching the
    >graph,
    > but to get it correct, you do end up printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

    One trick is to use the rectangle drawing tool (with the shift key) to daw a
    square, then adjust the scaling of the chart (or stretch it) to match the
    gridlines to the square.
    --
    David Biddulph

  5. #5
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    David wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 22:10:35 +0100:

    ??>> "James Silverton" wrote:
    ??>>
    ??>>> mark wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:02 -0700:
    ??>>>
    m>>>> The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the
    m>>>> scale on the x and y axis independently and then
    m>>>> automatically stretches the axis (x and y) to fit the
    m>>>> page. the result is that the graph is not true scale in
    m>>>> both directions.

    ??>>> But you can make the units of x and y the same and make
    ??>>> the chart area square by clicking on it and moving the
    ??>>> markers. I don't know how to do this automatically but I
    ??>>> can do it satisfactorily, IMHO, by eye. I suppose I could
    ??>>> hold a ruler to the monitor to make it more exact.

    ??>> I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of
    ??>> stretching the graph, but to get it correct, you do end up
    ??>> printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

    DB> One trick is to use the rectangle drawing tool (with the
    DB> shift key) to daw a square, then adjust the scaling of the
    DB> chart (or stretch it) to match the gridlines to the square.

    That is a bit "tricky" but I just tried it and it can be done
    tho' you have to remember to set the scale height and width the
    same (probably 100%) when drawing the square if you want it to
    print correctly. I don't know if I could meet the criteria of
    exactness that the OP wants :-)

    James Silverton.

  6. #6
    mark
    Guest

    Re: xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V p

    I would like it to be exact, however, I do appreciate this suggestion. It
    kind of boggles me that you can't just "lock the aspect ratio" of your graph,
    however, you can to draw a square.