Dynamic Drop Down Boxes

  1. #1
    Scooter
    Guest

    Dynamic Drop Down Boxes

    Hi,

    I'm a first time caller, long time listener who is wondering if anyone has
    run into a similar situation. I'm using a excel 2000 spreadsheet to track
    users activities. There are two drop down form controls on the worksheet, the
    first is a static group of choices. I defined a group name and entered it in
    the Format Control box Input Range field for the choices. The second Drop
    Down box can choose from a total of 10 different group names of subcategories
    depending on what the user selects in the first.

    I can accomplish this if I use combo boxes by placing the following code in
    the OnChange event of the first field, but I use 3000 total fields, long
    story.....and combo boxes take up too much space for them to be effective.

    I've tried VLookup and HLookup and even If statements but the closest I can
    get is using the IF statement, and then I only get the first choice in the
    subcategory group to display. I'd greatly appreciatte any help you could lend
    me.

    Thanx, Scooter

    Function Choice(temp)

    Select Case temp
    Case "A": temp = "A"
    Case "B": temp = "B"
    yada..yada...yada
    End Select

    End Function

    then I use Combox1.ListFillRange = temp 'to set the choices.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Drop Down Boxes

    Instead of combo boxes, you can create dependent data validation lists.
    There are instructions here:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List