How do you create a random number generator in Excel?

  1. #1
    gmrobillard
    Guest

    How do you create a random number generator in Excel?

  2. #2
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: How do you create a random number generator in Excel?

    "gmrobillard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > in fact, nothing...

    http://www.office-addins.com/-excel-...generator.html

    /Fredrik

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: How do you create a random number generator in Excel?

    Usually, suggestions that recommend buying something, are reserved for
    situations where XL cannot fulfill the request with resident functionality
    and/or capabilities.

    Random numbers can be easily attainable in XL in *many* ways, depending upon
    the stipulations of the OP.

    If gmrobillard would post back, in the *body* of the post, and not just the
    subject line, and state exactly what kind of random numbers he's looking to
    create, I'm sure that he'll receive adaquate, *free* suggestions, on how to
    attain his wishes.

    RD

    news:ORY%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    How do you enter =RAND() in Excel?

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do you enter =RAND() in Excel?

    RAND
    See Also

    Returns an evenly distributed random number greater than or equal to 0 and
    less than 1. A new random number is returned every time the worksheet is
    calculated.

    Syntax

    RAND( )

    Remarks

    To generate a random real number between a and b, use:
    RAND()*(b-a)+a

    If you want to use RAND to generate a random number but don't want the numbers
    to change every time the cell is calculated, you can enter =RAND() in the
    formula bar, and then press F9 to change the formula to a random number.
    Example

    The example may be easier to understand if you copy it to a blank worksheet.

    How?

    Create a blank workbook or worksheet.
    Select the example in the Help topic. Do not select the row or column headers.

    Selecting an example from Help

    Press CTRL+C.
    In the worksheet, select cell A1, and press CTRL+V.
    To switch between viewing the results and viewing the formulas that return the
    results, press CTRL+` (grave accent), or on the Tools menu, point to Formula
    Auditing, and then click Formula Auditing Mode.

    Formula Description (Result)
    =RAND() A random number between 0 and 1 (varies)
    =RAND()*100 A random number equal to 0 but less than 100 (varies)

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:27:42 -0800, "Michael R Middleton"

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do you create a random number generator in Excel?

    Well said RD.

    news:%[email protected]...