IF Statement help...

  1. #1
    Pat
    Guest

    IF Statement help...

    This may have been asked before but I had no idea what to search for. My
    question is this:

    Is it possible to make an IF Statement that says "If there is any value at
    all in this cell, then leave the cell blank, if not then do this formula"

    Here is my formula right now: =IF(M84=0,"",G84+1)
    I'm pretty sure it's what I want, but I think Excel is reading a "blank
    cell" as equal to "0", so I guess that's my problem. I apologize if this
    doesn't make much sense and I can clarify if needed. I appreciate all input
    and suggestions!
    Thank you,
    Patrick

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: IF Statement help...

    Hi Pat

    =IF(M84<>"","",G84+1)
    <> means not equal to
    so M84<>""
    says if M84 is not equal to nothing, ie it has something in it

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: IF Statement help...

    Hi Patrick

    I think that you problem is that cell M84 contains a space on an unprintable
    character. In such a case, than it is not = to 0 and the resukt will be
    true, resulting in your calculation.

    Try pressing the Delete button whilst in cell M84 and see if the result in
    your cell with the formula alters.

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: IF Statement help...

    If that formula is in M84, you have a problem, as the cell cannot contain a
    formula and a value, and doesn't like to refer to itself.

    RP

  5. #5
    Pat
    Guest

    Re: IF Statement help...

    Julie, Roger, and Bob--

    Thanks for all the help. I feel like I'm much closer to solving this
    problem. I did notice that when I deleted the existing formula in Cell M84,
    my formula in G97 worked. However, I'm still running into the same problem.

    I'm trying to get G97 to be blank if M84=0. (Julie I tried your suggestion
    but it wasn't what I was looking for now that I think about it, though you
    did answer my original question M84 has a formula in it but I don't think
    that should affect G97, should it? My formula in G97 is: IF(M84=0,"",G96+1)
    I'm fairly positive this is would do the trick, but maybe I'm missing
    something?

    This is really strange and I'm probably making it more complex than it
    really is. Any other thoughts? If you need more clarification I'd be glad
    to give it. I could also send my spreadsheet if that makes things easier.
    Thanks again, this is a great forum!

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: IF Statement help...

    =IF(AND(LEN(M84)<>0,M84=0),"",G96+1)

    RP

  7. #7
    Pat
    Guest

    Re: IF Statement help...

    Thanks for the quick reply Bob. Unfortunately it's not working! How
    frustrating is that?? I am about to give up pretty soon.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Don't give up yet ... try "reshuffling" your arguments like so

    =if(M84="",G96+1,"")

    and see if it works.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat

    "Bob Phillips" wrote:

    > =IF(AND(LEN(M84)<>0,M84=0),"",G96+1)
    >
    > --
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > RP
    >

    > "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Julie, Roger, and Bob--
    > >
    > > Thanks for all the help. I feel like I'm much closer to solving this
    > > problem. I did notice that when I deleted the existing formula in Cell

    > M84,
    > > my formula in G97 worked. However, I'm still running into the same

    > problem.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to get G97 to be blank if M84=0. (Julie I tried your suggestion
    > > but it wasn't what I was looking for now that I think about it, though you
    > > did answer my original question M84 has a formula in it but I don't

    > think
    > > that should affect G97, should it? My formula in G97 is:

    > IF(M84=0,"",G96+1)
    > > I'm fairly positive this is would do the trick, but maybe I'm missing
    > > something?
    > >
    > > This is really strange and I'm probably making it more complex than it
    > > really is. Any other thoughts? If you need more clarification I'd be

    > glad
    > > to give it. I could also send my spreadsheet if that makes things easier.
    > > Thanks again, this is a great forum!

    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX