HELP: Data > Validation ---List ----Formula

  1. #1
    amit
    Guest

    HELP: Data > Validation ---List ----Formula

    I am trying to generate "Drop down list" using formula.

    The path I am using is :

    Data > Validation ---List ----Formula

    It seems there is limitation on no. of characters, which could be
    typed in this FORMULA field.

    Can someone help me in generating the list using someother technic.

    Thanks in advance for your replies.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: HELP: Data > Validation ---List ----Formula

    Perhaps you could enter the formula in an adjacent cell, then refer to
    that cell in the data validation formula box.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    amit
    Guest

    Re: HELP: Data > Validation ---List ----Formula

    Debra,

    Thanks a lot for your reply.

    I tried that but it doesn't help for list of values.

    More specifically:

    I have 12 columns, each containing a list of 100 values (1 value in a
    cell).

    Based on the value of a cell, different from the cells mentioned
    above, in range of 1 to 12 one of the list is to be selected in Drop
    down list (using Data > Validation ---List ----Formula).

    The above mentioned field at the end of path allows only 8
    IF-THEN-ELSE type statements.

    I tried using Index, Match, address functions etc. but I am not able
    to get the solution.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: HELP: Data > Validation ---List ----Formula

    It sounds like you could use dependent data validation lists. There are
    instructions here: