Concatenate text and numbers?

  1. #1
    sunslight
    Guest

    Concatenate text and numbers?

    I need a formula to concatenate A1,B#,C1; and place the result in D2, D3, D...

    A B C D
    1 dog100 0000 red ""
    2 0001 dog1000001red
    3 0002 dog1000002red

    A1: Does not change its location. It is an absolute reference.
    It is in general format, a combination of text and a number. It is imported
    that way.

    B2: is a custom format number of the form "0000". I have to keep all the
    digits. It is derived from a formula to increment the # in the previous
    column, by one.

    C3: Does not change its location. It is an absolute reference.
    It is Text.

    What I want is to end up with D2, D3,.. a combination of text and value,
    derived by combining A1,B...,C1.
    Then copy the formula down the D column, so it will referentialy calculate
    the next answer.

    Can someone help me put together text + numbers that increment?

    Thanks,
    Bob

  2. #2

    Re: Concatenate text and numbers?

    in D2:
    =$a$1&text(b2,"0000")&$c$1
    dragged down

    Or maybe:
    in D2:
    =$a$1&text(row()-1,"0000")&$c$1

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Concatenate text and numbers?

    If you want to use all 3 columns, then it seems like this would work for
    you:
    D1: =$A$1&TEXT(B1,"0000")&$C$1
    Then copy down column D.

    But...
    If you really only need the values in Cells A1 and C1 and just want to
    increment the middle section, would this work?
    D1: =$A$1&TEXT(ROWS($1:1)-1,"0000")&$C$1
    (again, just copy that formula down column D)

    Is either of thosse what you're looking for?

    Ron

  4. #4
    sunslight
    Guest

    Re: Concatenate text and numbers?

    Thank you both.

    I will try and see if these will work for me.

    What I forgot to state, is that the concatenation must not turn the numbers
    into text. The numbers must stay numbers. (I tried a TEXT(x,"00")) type
    formula. It put everything together, but I had all text instead of text,
    numbers, text.

    Bob

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Concatenate text and numbers?

    The result of a CONCATENATION is a TEXT string........

    From Help.....
    CONCATENATE
    Joins several text strings into one text string.
    Syntax:
    CONCATENATE (text1,text2,...)
    Text1, text2, ... are 1 to 30 text items to be joined into a single text
    item. The text items can be text strings, numbers, or single-cell
    references.

    Of course, concatenated numbers can be stripped back out of a string and
    returned to number status.......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    sunslight
    Guest

    Re: Concatenate text and numbers?

    Thank you.

    Hopefully I can stay on line long enough this time so I can reply to your
    answers--my system died for several days, right after my last post.

    Ok, that's as I thought: Concatentaion takes text & numbers and makes a TEXT
    string.

    You say I can strip out the numbers (text) and return them as numbers--I
    don't know how to do that.

    What I need is an alph numeric string, as:

    sky1blue2rain
    sky1blue3rain
    sky1blue4sun
    sky1blue5night

    After the initial entry, whichever digit I want, in this case, the second,
    is incremented and is a real number, not text.

    Is there a forumla for that?

    Or do I do the math, concatenate, then restore the (text)numbers to real
    numbers, which I can do, but i don't know how to put them back into the
    string.

    Hopefully, there will be an easy way and a formula that will let me mix
    modes, have an alphanumeric string, where the numbers can be manipulated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Concatenate text and numbers?

    Either of Dave's formulas give you that facility

    =$a$1&text(b2,"0000")&$c$1
    dragged down

    Or maybe:
    in D2:
    =$a$1&text(row()-1,"0000")&$c$1

    Bob Phillips

  8. #8
    sunslight
    Guest

    Re: Concatenate text and numbers?

    Thanks Bob. Thank Dave and all.

    Yes, this is doing the job for me now, almost. I don't know why it didn't
    work before--anyway it is now (almost).

    Again, I wasn't specific enough.

    I thought I by keeping the data simple and it'd be easier, but it's not
    working right.

    I want the result field to be hyperlinks.

    Thus, the entry info should have been this

    A1 http://dog100
    C1: .com

    Putting that data in and using the formula, D2:
    =$a$1&text(row()-1,"0000")&$c$1
    the results are:

    http://dog1000001.com
    http://dog1000002.com
    http://dog1000003.com

    They look like hyperlinks, but aren't.

    Excell isn't picking up the use of "http:"

    I tried putting HYPERLINK into the formula, but couldn't get my using it, to
    work.

    The last question, then, is how do I get the result to be a hyperlink?
    --we're so close

    Thanks,
    Bob

  9. #9

    Re: Concatenate text and numbers?

    Use the =hyperlink() formula, too:
    =hyperlink($a$1&text(row()-1,"0000")&$c$1)
    or
    =hyperlink($a$1&text(row()-1,"0000")&$c$1,"Click me!")