Excel - treat pairs of figures differently according to values

  1. #1
    Alistair
    Guest

    Excel - treat pairs of figures differently according to values

    I want to use Excel to evaluate the results of a psychometric test.
    The test produces pairs of figures.
    Each figure can be positive or negative

    If both are positive or both are negative I want the absolute difference

    If one is positive and the other negative I want to sum them
    If the first is positive and the second negative then I want to maket he
    figure produced above positive
    If the first is negative and the second positive I want to make the figure
    produced above negtive

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Excel - treat pairs of figures differently according to values

    try
    =if(Abs(A1)+Abs(B1)=Abs(A1+B1),Abs(A1-B1),if(A1<B1,-1,1)*Abs(A1+B1))

    where your first number is is A1 and the second in B1