Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

  1. #1

    Question Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Okay

    This is a much simplified version, but...

    How do I write a function statement that will:

    1) Do a vlookup to find a value
    2) If it finds the value then offset by 1 row and 12 columns and return the value of that cell
    3) If the lookup value is not found then return a value of 0 or ""

  2. #2
    rahrah3a
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    using the match and offset functions together can get you what you need. Try
    this.

    Example:
    Column B Column C
    Row 2 1 A
    Row 3 2 B
    Row 4 3 C
    Row 5
    Row 6 2 =OFFSET(B1,MATCH(B6,B2:B4,FALSE),1)

    Typing a 1, 2 or 3 in Cell B6 resolves to an A, B or C. the match function
    finds which row the number 2 is in, then the offset moves over 1 column to
    capture the letter B.

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    rahrah3a

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    rahrah3a

  11. #11
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  13. #13
    rahrah3a

  14. #14
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  15. #15
    rahrah3a

  16. #16
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  17. #17
    rahrah3a

  18. #18
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  19. #19
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  20. #20
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  21. #21
    rahrah3a

  22. #22
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  23. #23
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  24. #24
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  25. #25
    rahrah3a

  26. #26
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  27. #27
    rahrah3a

  28. #28
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  29. #29
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  30. #30
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  31. #31
    rahrah3a

  32. #32
    rahrah3a

  33. #33
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  34. #34
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  35. #35
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  36. #36
    rahrah3a

  37. #37
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  38. #38
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  39. #39
    rahrah3a

  40. #40
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  41. #41
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  42. #42
    rahrah3a

  43. #43
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  44. #44
    rahrah3a

  45. #45
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  46. #46
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  47. #47
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  48. #48
    rahrah3a

  49. #49
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  50. #50
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  51. #51
    rahrah3a

  52. #52
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  53. #53
    rahrah3a

  54. #54
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  55. #55
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  56. #56
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  57. #57
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  58. #58
    rahrah3a

  59. #59
    rahrah3a

  60. #60
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  61. #61
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  62. #62
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  63. #63
    rahrah3a

  64. #64
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  65. #65
    rahrah3a

  66. #66
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    Hi!

    > This is a much simplified version, but...

    And this is the simplified solution! <g>

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0)),"",OFFSET(A1,MATCH(lookup_value,A1:A5,0),12))

    Biff

    "mendozalaura" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  67. #67
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup then OFFSET over and down

    You could simply use the Index & Match combination, and get away from using
    the volatile Offset function.

    Say data list is in A1 to M50.
    Lookup value to find is in N1
    Lookup value is located ColumnA.
    12 columns over would be Column M
    1 Row *below* the lookup value would be Match+1

    =INDEX(M1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+1)

    And if you wanted the offset to be variable:
    With same parameters as above,
    But with column to offset entered in N2,
    And row to offset entered in N3

    =INDEX(B1:M50,MATCH(N1,A1:A50,0)+N3,N2)

    --
    HTH,