Search column for value and return TRUE or FALSE

  1. #1
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: Search column for value and return TRUE or FALSE

    =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("x",A1:A10,0)))
    or
    =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("-x",A1:A10,0)))
    or
    =NOT(ISNA(MATCH(B1,A1:A10,0))) where B1 contains the criteria to search

    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

  2. #2
    Remote Desktop Connection hotkey
    Guest

    Re: Search column for value and return TRUE or FALSE

    Thanks man.... i can't understand why i couldn't come up whith this myself

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek

    Bob Umlas wrote:
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("x",A1:A10,0)))
    > or
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("-x",A1:A10,0)))
    > or
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH(B1,A1:A10,0))) where B1 contains the criteria to search

    Easier (and efficient) if we substitute ISNUMBER(...) for NOT(ISNA(...).

    Even better, if an optional argument in MATCH() was available:

    =MATCH(LValue,LRange,0,FALSE)

    instead of

    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(LValue,LRange,0))

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.

  4. #4
    Bob Umlas

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Aladin Akyurek

  8. #8
    Bob Umlas

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Aladin Akyurek

    Bob Umlas wrote:
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("x",A1:A10,0)))
    > or
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH("-x",A1:A10,0)))
    > or
    > =NOT(ISNA(MATCH(B1,A1:A10,0))) where B1 contains the criteria to search

    Easier (and efficient) if we substitute ISNUMBER(...) for NOT(ISNA(...).

    Even better, if an optional argument in MATCH() was available:

    =MATCH(LValue,LRange,0,FALSE)

    instead of

    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(LValue,LRange,0))

    --

    [1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
    their Excel numeric equivalents.
    [2] The lookup functions should have an optional argument for the return
    value, defaulting to #N/A in its absence.

X vBulletin 4.1.8 Debug Information

  • Page Generation 0.06510 seconds
  • Memory Usage 9,015KB
  • Queries Executed 16 (?)
More Information
Template Usage (30):
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_global_above_footer
  • (1)ad_global_below_navbar
  • (1)ad_global_header1
  • (1)ad_global_header2
  • (1)ad_navbar_below
  • (1)ad_showthread_firstpost_sig
  • (1)ad_showthread_firstpost_start
  • (1)ad_thread_first_post_content
  • (1)ad_thread_last_post_content
  • (1)footer
  • (1)forumrules
  • (1)gobutton
  • (1)header
  • (1)headinclude
  • (1)headinclude_bottom
  • (10)memberaction_dropdown
  • (1)navbar
  • (4)navbar_link
  • (4)navbar_noticebit
  • (6)option
  • (10)postbit_legacy
  • (10)postbit_wrapper
  • (4)showthread_bookmarksite
  • (1)spacer_close
  • (1)spacer_open
  • (1)tagbit_wrapper
  • (1)vbseo_linkbackmenu_entry

Phrase Groups Available (6):
  • global
  • inlinemod
  • postbit
  • posting
  • reputationlevel
  • showthread
Included Files (40):
  • ./vbseo.php
  • ./env.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_pre.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_url.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_createurl.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_db.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_vb.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_seo.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_misc.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_crr.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_cache.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_hook.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_startup.php
  • ./includes/config.php
  • ./showthread.php
  • ./global.php
  • ./includes/class_bootstrap.php
  • ./includes/init.php
  • ./includes/class_core.php
  • ./includes/functions.php
  • ./includes/class_friendly_url.php
  • ./includes/class_hook.php
  • ./includes/functions_cforum.php
  • ./includes/functions_facebook.php
  • ./includes/functions_bigthree.php
  • ./includes/class_postbit.php
  • ./includes/class_bbcode.php
  • ./includes/functions_reputation.php
  • ./includes/class_bootstrap_framework.php
  • ./vb/vb.php
  • ./vb/phrase.php
  • ./packages/vbattach/attach.php
  • ./vb/types.php