Using formulas/functions

  1. #1
    Lucylambkin
    Guest

    Using formulas/functions

    I want to insert a formula/function that inserts data from another
    spreadsheet, but that if the cells in the other spreadsheet are blank they
    are left blank.

    I have tried setting up a formula, but if the cell in the other spreadsheet
    is blank, then the spreadsheet which has the formula shows a 0 in the cell.

    Can anyone help

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Using formulas/functions

    Try something like...

    =IF(Sheet2!A1<>"",Sheet2!A1,"")

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Jason Clement
    Guest

    RE: Using formulas/functions

    This is a common problem for me, I usually use an IF statement to test if the
    data cell is empty and then set the target cell to empty if it is:

    =IF(A1="", "", A1)

    Note: I use A1="" rather than ISBLANK(A1) because if A1 contains a formula
    resulting in "", then ISBLANK() returns FALSE.

  4. #4
    sdp777
    Guest

    Re: Using formulas/functions

    How would this be formated if it was coming from another file altogether?
    Im stuck here:
    =IF(\\SERVER\USERS\username\test1.xls#Sheet2!A1<>"",Sheet2!A1,"")

    Thanks for the assistance. Is Excel the best option for attempting to link
    files for example for employee time sheets in to a master spreadsheet?

    Im sure Excel can do it, but the support literature doesnt articulate how.
    Steven

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Using formulas/functions

    Open both files first, apply the link by clicking the other cell or by
    coping and paste special as link, then you can close the other workbook and
    excel will put in the path for you so if I open a file, then type

    =IF(then I click on the cell in the other file,apply the condition, click
    again, apply if condition is FALSE, add a closing parenthesis and press
    enter, this will for example give me

    =IF('[check register.xls]OCTOBER 2005'!$N$7<>"",'[check register.xls]OCTOBER
    2005'!$N$7,"")

    now I close the check register file

    and my formula changes to

    =IF('K:\common\ACCT\Period06\[check register.xls]OCTOBER
    2005'!$N$7<>"",'K:\common\ACCT\Period06\[check register.xls]OCTOBER
    2005'!$N$7,"")

    it is always much better to apply a formula with all workbooks in question
    open, then you'll get the paths for "free"

    Peo Sjoblom

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    sdp777
    Guest

    Re: Using formulas/functions

    Thank you. I will attempt to apply this information.

    sdp