importing data:that is new or different to the existing.

  1. #1
    Grant M
    Guest

    importing data:that is new or different to the existing.

    I wish to import data from one workbook colum (B) to another workbook colum
    (A) the data is in alpha numeric eg:SY-50185-k-02. I dont want to affect the
    existing data I am importing to, but I want to update any data that is new or
    different to the existing.

  2. #2
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    re: importing data:that is new or different to the existing.

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:52:02 -0800, "Grant M" <Grant
    [email protected]> wrote:

    >I wish to import data from one workbook colum (B) to another workbook colum
    >(A) the data is in alpha numeric eg:SY-50185-k-02. I dont want to affect the
    >existing data I am importing to, but I want to update any data that is new or
    >different to the existing.

    I'd be inclined to use a helper column in the workbook containing the
    data you are importing from. Assume this is called Book1 and your
    existing data is in Book2.

    In C1 in Book1 enter
    =VLOOKUP(B1,[Book2]Sheet1!$A:$A,1,FALSE)
    and copy down as necessary.

    Now filter the #N/A rows which contain data that doesn't already exist
    in Book1, then copy and paste into Book2.

    HTH

    Richard Buttrey
    __