using the fill handle All the cells return the value of the first

  1. #1
    Chris Simmons
    Guest

    using the fill handle All the cells return the value of the first

    I have used the formula =PROPER() with the cell reference of the first name
    in uppercase in my list A2. When I double click on the fill handle at the
    bottom left corner of the cell, instead of changing the names to proper case,
    it merely copies the value in the first cell - so if I was changing ANDERSON
    to Anderson, not only would the first cell in my formula column show
    Anderson, but also the other cells in the column.
    The cells in the column, however, show an incremental change to the forumula
    under the returned data (=PROPER(A3); =PROPER(A4), ect.

    any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: using the fill handle All the cells return the value of the first

    Chris,

    Change to automatic calculation mode: Tools / Options... Calculate tab.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...