Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

  1. #1
    Heidi
    Guest

    Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

    I have a setup that (simplified slightly) looks like:

    A1: 20
    B1: =if(A1<50,"",A1)
    C1: =isblank(B1)

    C1: produces "false". Why? Isn't "" supposed to put "nothing" into a cell?

    The point of all this: I want the cell to be truly blank, so that it doesn't
    graph as a "zero" in a chart. (Yes, I have the option under Tools>Options
    checked, so that blank values are not plotted as zeros.) However, it is
    graphing my "not quite blank" cells, generated by the above formula, as
    zeros. It does skip truly blank values (if I delete the formula altogether),
    but doesn't when I try to force blank values using a formula like this.

    Any ideas how to get a formula to make a cell think it is blank?

    Thank you,

    Heidi

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

    Hi!

    Try this:

    =if(A1<50,#N/A,A1)

    That'll keep your chart from getting messed up but the downside is that
    you'll have #N/A's in some cells.

    You can hide them with conditional formatting, though.

    Select the cell(s)
    Goto Format>Conditional Formatting
    Formula is: ISNA(cell_reference)
    Click the Format button
    Set the font color to be the same as the fill color
    OK out.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:13:03 -0800, "Heidi" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a setup that (simplified slightly) looks like:
    >
    >A1: 20
    >B1: =if(A1<50,"",A1)
    >C1: =isblank(B1)
    >
    >C1: produces "false". Why? Isn't "" supposed to put "nothing" into a cell?
    >
    >The point of all this: I want the cell to be truly blank, so that it doesn't
    >graph as a "zero" in a chart. (Yes, I have the option under Tools>Options
    >checked, so that blank values are not plotted as zeros.) However, it is
    >graphing my "not quite blank" cells, generated by the above formula, as
    >zeros. It does skip truly blank values (if I delete the formula altogether),
    >but doesn't when I try to force blank values using a formula like this.
    >
    >Any ideas how to get a formula to make a cell think it is blank?
    >
    >Thank you,
    >
    >Heidi

    Well, if a cell contains a formula, then, by definition, it is not blank.

    If your goal is to have it ignored in a graph, then set the cell to NA. You
    can then use conditional formatting to make the cell appear blank, if you wish.

    e.g.:

    B1: =IF(A1<50,NA(),A1)

    Format/Conditional Formatting/Formula Is: =ISNA(B1)
    Format the font color to the same as the background color.

    --ron

  4. #4
    Heidi
    Guest

    Re: Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

    That works great! Thanks so much! Thank you also for thinking ahead to make
    the spreadsheet look prettier by "hiding" the error values with conditional
    formatting.

    Heidi

  5. #5
    Heidi
    Guest

    Re: Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

    Thank you, Ron.

    -Heidi