two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

  1. #1
    Mar
    Guest

    two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    I clicked on something and now my original (one) workbook has opened as two
    workbooks with the above listed extensions. If I do something in one, it
    will appear in the other. If I close out and re- open the workbook from it's
    original state, they still appear. I clicked too fast or hit something and
    now I can't get it back to original form. Can you help?

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    Hi

    You've opened a New Window (from the Window dropdown). Just close one of
    your windows and save your workbook.

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mar
    Guest

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    I tried that but it wouldn't let me close one window without the other. I'll
    try it again though. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Mar
    Guest

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    any other ideas! What did I click on to create this, do you know?

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    Yes - Window/New Window - as I put in my my email!

  6. #6
    Mar
    Guest

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    When I first closed the window, it closed both books and when I reopened it,
    it appeared as two windows again. THEN :-), I right clicked on the bottom
    taskbar on one of the books and closed it that way, then I still had one
    workbook open and saved that. ALL IS WELL! Thank you! I don't ever really
    use two books, side by side like this so that's whyy it threw me! Thank you
    again for your help! :-)

  7. #7
    Guest

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    Thanks for the feedback - and I'm glad you're sorted!!

  8. #8

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    If it happens again, you may find this easier.

    Select the window you don't want.
    hit ctrl-w (to close it)
    save your workbook in that state.

  9. #9
    Mar
    Guest

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    OK, New problem That was not quite it! I have an excel workbook that when I
    opened it and accidentially clicked on something by Window, my file now shows
    as one file but with two workbooks in it and the extension after each is
    checkbook.xls1, and then .xls2. I CAN'T seem to close one without the other.
    We tried the New Window and that created a new workbook and we were able to
    close that new window but we still can't close the workbook and have only one
    sheet to work on. If I make any changes to the one labelled .xls1, it makes
    the same changes in .xls2. Sorry, but this is so frustrating.

  10. #10
    Mar
    Guest

    Re: two workbooks with extension .xls1 and .xls2

    OK, I am going to the source after work to work on this. Will let you know!
    Thanks for your help!