Getting rid of helping columns

  1. #1
    paulgallanter
    Guest

    Getting rid of helping columns

    I am using the formula =IF(purchaser=name at top of column,SUM(purchase
    amount),0) in XL 2003 to find the expences of each person and placing that
    amount in a column to be sumed at the bottom. I then use that total to
    calculate costs and comissions. I have no need to see the list of purchases
    under each name but I don't know how to test each purchase for a name and add
    that to other purchases without a helping column. Is there some way to get
    around this?

    thanks, paul

  2. #2
    paulgallanter
    Guest

    RE: Getting rid of helping columns

    Nevermind, I figured out how to use SUMIF.

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Getting rid of helping columns

    On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 15:09:02 -0700, paulgallanter
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am using the formula =IF(purchaser=name at top of column,SUM(purchase
    >amount),0) in XL 2003 to find the expences of each person and placing that
    >amount in a column to be sumed at the bottom. I then use that total to
    >calculate costs and comissions. I have no need to see the list of purchases
    >under each name but I don't know how to test each purchase for a name and add
    >that to other purchases without a helping column. Is there some way to get
    >around this?
    >
    >thanks, paul

    Sounds like you need SUMIF

    With purchaser in A2:A100, amounts in B2:B100, and purchaser name in
    A1

    SUMIF(A2:A100,A1,B2:B100)

    HTH
    __