VLOOKUP not working anymore

  1. #1
    Phil
    Guest

    VLOOKUP not working anymore

    Hello,

    For some unknown reason (to me at least), when I try to use the VLOOKUP
    function now (on the same spreadsheet that I've been using for months), it
    only shows the formula, and not the value that I'm trying to obtain.
    However, when constructing the VLOOKUP function, when I fill in the
    Lookup_Value, Table_Array, Col_index_num, and Range_Lookup fields, each time
    I step through the fields, the values on the right of each respective field
    ARE correctly shown. And down in the left corner, where it says "Formula
    Result", that value is correct. But when I hit "OK", the only thing that
    shows is the formula. Also, when I go the cell with the VLOOKUP function in
    it, and right-click, and look in the "Sample" window, the value IS ALSO
    correctly shown.

    Cells that are using the VLOOKUP are formatted to General format.

    Somehow, somewhere, I have changed a setting or something.

    Why won't this work?

    Thanks in advance for your replies.

    Phil.
    BTW, when I try it on a brand new file, it works fine.

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP not working anymore

    Look at the cell format, should not be text, if so change to general or
    number then press F2 and enter

    Peo Sjoblom

    http://nwexcelsolutions.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Phil
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP not working anymore

    Hi Peo,

    As I had said in my original post, the cell is ALREADY formatted to GENERAL.
    But Thanks for trying to help, anyway. Any other ideas?

  4. #4
    Loomah
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP not working anymore

    Hi
    In TOOLS>OPTIONS>View - Window options
    make sure you don't have "Formulas" checked

    It's easily done as the keyboard shortcut is CTRL+` which is next to
    CTRL+TAB for swiching workbooks or CTRL+1 for format cells!

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP not working anymore

    Did you do the second part?
    Try to replace the equal sign with the equals sign to force calculation.

    If that doesn't work try Ctrl + `

    Peo

  6. #6
    Phil
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP not working anymore

    Peo,

    The CTRL + ` worked.

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Phil
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP not working anymore

    Loomah,

    You are correct. It is working fine now.

    Thanks!