Password protect cells

  1. #1
    Christobo
    Guest

    Password protect cells

    I would like to protect six to ten cells within excel. But the cell protected
    by one can ont be accessed by another, i.e. - I need to allow for multiple
    uses to protect their own cells within the same excell sheet.

  2. #2
    Louise
    Guest

    RE: Password protect cells

    Hi
    Go into Tools, Protection, Allow Users to Edit Ranges and go throug the
    instructions. This allows you to protect cells for certain users only. If
    anybody else tries to type into the cell, they will be prompted for a
    password which you will set.

    HTH
    Louise

  3. #3
    Christobo
    Guest

    RE: Password protect cells

    Thank you for the response. I am not sure where to apply your comments within
    the protection process. The steps that I am taking now are to high-light the
    entire sheet, format-cells-protection tab-uncheck the lock box, I then select
    the cells I want to lock and then, format-cells-protection tab-check the lock
    box, I then protect the file by selection tools-protection-entire sheet -
    obviously my process is incorrect - I am not sure where within my process to
    implement your comments. I apologize if I am missing the boat here.

  4. #4
    Louise
    Guest

    RE: Password protect cells

    Hello.
    Try the following, let me know if it works.......

    1. Click onto Tools, choose Protection and click onto Allow users to Edit
    Ranges. (This command is only available when the worksheet is not protected).

    2. Click onto New.

    3. In the Title box, type a title for the range you are granting access to.

    4. Click onto Refers to Cells, type an equal sign (=) and select the cell(s)
    you wish this specific user to be able to gain access to.

    5. In the Range Password section, type a password to access the range. (The
    password is optional, however, if you don’t supply a password, any user will
    be able to edit the cells).

    6. Click Permissions… and then choose Add.

    You must now enter the details of the user(s) you wish to gain access to
    this password-protected section.

    7. Enter the name of the user and click onto Check Names. This will ensure
    that Excel recognises the user.

    8. Click onto Ok twice. If prompted, re-enter the password.

    9. Click onto Protect Sheet. (You are now protecting the rest of the
    worksheet, as normal).

    10. In the Protect Sheet dialog box, enter a password for the worksheet,
    re-enter when prompted.

    11. Choose OK.

    The whole worksheet has now been ‘locked’ to prevent changes being made by
    other users. The user you specified earlier can gain access to the
    designated cell(s) after entering the password.

  5. #5
    Christobo
    Guest

    RE: Password protect cells

    Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated.