Which Finance Function should i use to solve this

  1. #1

    Which Finance Function should i use to solve this

    Work four summers, starting at age 16

    Save the income in a Roth IRA account

    Invest it in a simple, low-cost equity portfolio

    Simmer slowly for 47 years

    Serve ungarnished (and untaxed) at age 67

    If your money is invested in common stocks and you achieve the average
    compound annual rate on large-capitalization U.S. stocks, 10.7%, your
    account will grow to $9,378 at the end of the fourth year. You will be
    20 years old. Invested in the same way, with no additional savings, the
    account will grow to:
    $25,917 by the time you are 30

    $71,625 by the time you are 40

    $197,943 by the time you are 50

    $547,037 by the time you are 60

    And $1,114,423 by the time you are 67

    is there a function that will give me this answer without using
    multiple rows and columns to calculate this.

  2. #2
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Which Finance Function should i use to solve this

    > account will grow to $9,378 at the end of the fourth year.
    > You will be 20 years old.
    > $25,917 by the time you are 30
    > $71,625 by the time you are 40

    Hi. We first need to figure out what you invested at age 16. (Here in A1).

    [A1] =PV(10.7%,4,,9378)
    ($6,244.82)

    Check you figures when we are 30 (14 years later)

    =FV(10.7%,14,,A1)
    $25,917.10

    And 40...
    =FV(10.7%,24,,A1)
    $71,624.67

    All values seem to check...
    -
    HTH. :>)
    Dana DeLouis
    Windows XP, Office 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Which Finance Function should i use to solve this

    Or perhaps if a cell/cells have the range name "Age", then ...

    =9378*POWER(1+10.7%, Age-20)
    or...
    =FV(10.7%,Age-20,,-9378)

    --
    HTH. :>)
    Dana DeLouis

    news:uHFMVY%[email protected]...

  4. #4

    [email protected] wrote:
    > is there a function that will give me this answer without using
    > multiple rows and columns to calculate this.

    See examples below.

    > Work four summers, starting at age 16
    > Save the income in a Roth IRA account
    > Invest it in a simple, low-cost equity portfolio
    > Simmer slowly for 47 years
    > Serve ungarnished (and untaxed) at age 67
    >
    > If your money is invested in common stocks and you achieve the average
    > compound annual rate on large-capitalization U.S. stocks, 10.7%, your
    > account will grow to $9,378 at the end of the fourth year.

    To achieve that, you need to invest about $1807 per year, computed by:

    =pmt(10.7%, 4, 0, 9378, 1)

    > You will be 20 years old. Invested in the same way, with no additional
    > savings, the account will grow to:
    > $25,917 by the time you are 30
    > $71,625 by the time you are 40
    > $197,943 by the time you are 50
    > $547,037 by the time you are 60
    > And $1,114,423 by the time you are 67

    If the age (30, 40, etc) is in A1, then:

    =fv(10.7%, A1-20, 0, -9378)

    My answers are a little different: $197,942 at 50, $574,035 at 60 and
    $1,114,419 at 67. The differences could be due to round-off in some of
    the input numbers.

  5. #5

    Re: Which Finance Function should i use to solve this

  6. #6

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Investment made at 16 was 2000

    Although that is not relevant to the question you asked because you
    assumed that you (will) have $9378 by age 20 somehow, if you are going
    into the 2nd summer of work now, you will need to invest an average of
    $1728 after each of the remaining 3 summers in order to accumulate
    $9378 in assets at an average growth of 10.7%. This is given by the
    following formula:

    =pmt(10.7%, 3, -2000*(1+10.7%), 9378, 1)