Formula uncertainty

  1. #1
    Ellie
    Guest

    Formula uncertainty

    I have a workbook with several sheets. On the first sheet are multiple daily
    entries. On other sheets are where data comes from sheet 1 into summaries
    etc. My problem is that I am trying to get the total number of occurrences
    of certain numbers meeting certain fields to go into 1 of 4 categories on the
    summary sheet. Is this possible?

    e.g.
    Sheet 1 - multiple daily entries
    Col A = week number
    Col B = date
    Col C = load no.
    Col D = order no.
    Col E = customer name/location
    Col F = Haulier
    Col G = Responsibility code

    Summary sheet
    e.g.
    Haulier Prem Customer Other Total
    NW
    EA
    Total

    In Column F of Sheet 1 there are 3 Hauliers, namely EA = WRW and NW = KAM
    and HAL. One of these will be entered against each entry per day.

    In Column G of Sheet 1 is put a responsibility code. There are a total of
    18 non-consecutive numbers split between Haulier, Prem, Customer and Other.
    I have created ranges for each of these 4, but so far have been unsuccessful
    in creating a formula that works.

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    You can count the occurances using a sumproduct function, but it is not clear from your example how you wish to group things

    you could do sumproduct((f2:f100="NW")*(g1:g100=1))

    This would count the number of occurances of responsibility code1 and Haulier NW

    but with out more imformation for your results required, it is hard to be more specific

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    Ellie
    Guest

    Re: Formula uncertainty

    Hi Dav

    Thanks, but as you have stated I probably haven't made it clear enough.
    Hope this example helps.

    Sheet 1 - multiple daily entries example
    Col B Col F Col G
    4 July WRW 2
    5 July WRW 2
    5 July HAL 5
    5 July KAM 7
    6 July WRW 12
    6 July WRW 9
    6 July WRW 7

    As you will see from my example of the summary sheet below, I select a
    week's worth of data, which in some cases may have no entries for a day
    unlike others where there could be many entries and count the number of
    occurrences of responsibility codes in a certain category, i.e. haulier etc.
    The example I have given above hopefully shows how random the haulier and
    responsibility codes are.

    Summary Sheet
    w/c 3 July Haulier Prem Customer
    Other Total
    NW 1 0 1
    0 2
    EA 2 0 3
    0 5
    Total 3 0 4
    0 7

    Haulier responsibility codes are 1, 2, 5, 6 & 8
    Prem responsibility codes are 4, 10, 11, 13, 16 & 17
    Customer responsibility codes are 7, 9, 12, 14 & 15
    Other responsibility codes are 3 & 18

    The above I have set up as a separate range list, but am not sure if this
    was right to do.

    The hauliers for the NW are more of a problem, as KAM and HAL accumulate
    into the NW area whereas WRW is the only element for EA.

    Hope this helps to clarify things a bit more.

    Many thanks.

    Ellie

  4. #4
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    I have created a solution in the attached zipped spreadsheet. It would be harder to explain to you in this forum

    I have created 2 columns to recode the Haulier and the responsibility data on your sheet1 using a vlookup function

    I have then used a sumproduct funtion to create your counts in the summary table

    I have given you 2 ways of doing the summary based on date or weeknumber

    To use date your dates need to be formated as dates on sheet1

    Regards

    Dav
    Attached Files Attached Files

  5. #5
    Ellie
    Guest

    Re: Formula uncertainty

    Dav

    Thank you. Unfortunately, my works internet does not permit me to view the
    attachment, but will view it on another PC later on today.

    Many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

    Ellie

  6. #6
    Ellie
    Guest

    Re: Formula uncertainty

    Hi Dav

    Sorry to be bothering you again about this. Thanks for the spreadsheet you
    attached, but unfortunately when applying it into the document I work with,
    because some days have no entries, due to bank holidays, holidays, or the
    rarity of no problems, etc., the result comes back as #N/A.

    In the vlookup sections, on the daily entries sheet, I have deleted the
    occurrences of #N/A where no entries have occurred against a day, but still
    comes back in the summary with #N/A.

    Many more thanks for all the help you have provided.

    Ellie