How do I create a random number generator in excel?

  1. #1
    Katie
    Guest

    How do I create a random number generator in excel?

    I would like to be able to generate several random sets of 3 numbers (ex:
    563, 742, 094, etc). What formula can I use to set this up in excel?

  2. #2
    tim m
    Guest

    RE: How do I create a random number generator in excel?

    =RAND()*1000

    The formula above will generate random numbers up to 999. You will want to
    format the cells as number, no decimal places

  3. #3
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a random number generator in excel?

    =INT(RAND()*999)+1
    This will give you a three digit random whole number but there's no
    guarantee that a number wont be duplicated if you drag it down a long way.
    The 999 +1 in the formula is to ensure you don't get a zero.
    Bear in mind that RAND() will recalculate every time anything else
    calculates so you will need to Copy > Paste Special > Values all the cells
    that have the above formula in them to avoid the results changing
    constantly.
    Regards,
    Alan.

    news:[email protected]...