Name Ranges: Function to convert special characters underscores

  1. #1
    Calanbraun
    Guest

    Name Ranges: Function to convert special characters underscores

    I created a named range using the name: Overall Segment Size - Street $(M)

    Excel automatically converts the name to get rid of special characters and
    spaces to: Overall_Segment_Size___Street___M

    The question is: Is there a function which allows me to convert the names
    to this format before naming the range?

    Please help!

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Name Ranges: Function to convert special characters underscores

    yo u cant use anything which excel can interpret as a cell reference ie $M

    Guidelines for names
    What characters are allowed? The first character of a name must be a letter,
    an underscore character (_), or a backslash (\). Remaining characters in the
    name can be letters, numbers, periods, and underscore characters.

    Can names be cell references? Names cannot be the same as a cell reference,
    such as Z$100 or R1C1.

    Can more than one word be used? Yes, but spaces are not allowed. Underscore
    characters and periods may be used as word separators — for example,
    Sales_Tax or First.Quarter.

    How many characters can be used? A name can contain up to 255 characters.

    Note If a name defined for a range contains more than 253 characters, you
    cannot select it from the Name box.

    Are names case sensitive? Names can contain uppercase and lowercase letters.
    Microsoft Excel does not distinguish between uppercase and lowercase
    characters in names. For example, if you have created the name Sales and then
    create another name called SALES in the same workbook, the second name will
    replace the first one.

    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  3. #3
    Carim
    Guest

    Re: Name Ranges: Function to convert special characters underscores

    Hi Calanbraun,

    The following should do the job :

    =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"_","")

    HTH