Lost XL on XP upgrade

  1. #1
    Michgibs
    Guest

    Lost XL on XP upgrade

    I upgraded to XP but now my old versions of word, excel do not work. Can
    anyone help?

  2. #2
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Lost XL on XP upgrade

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:21:02 -0800, "Michgibs"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I upgraded to XP but now my old versions of word, excel do not work. Can
    >anyone help?

    You haven't provided a great deal of information; such as:
    - What you upgraded to XP from;
    - What versions of Excel and Word you're using;
    - Whether you mean that they won't install, or whether they just won't
    run from a shortcut;
    - What error messages (if any) you get when you attempt to install or
    run them, as the case may be; and
    - Whether you've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Word and Excel.

    Any other details that you think may be relevant would be helpful.

    Hank Scorpio
    scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
    * Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *

  3. #3
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Lost XL on XP upgrade

    I'm running versions of Excel from Excel 4 to Excel 2003 under Windows XP
    with no problem...

    --
    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Michgibs
    Guest

    Re: Lost XL on XP upgrade

    Hi Hank - sorry I didn't explain very well.
    I previously ranwindows ME (preloaded on the PC) for which I purchased an XP
    upgrade.
    Word and excel were already preloaded on the machine (I think they were 97
    or 98 versions). However, once I loaded XP, they won't work. When i double
    click on the icons, they simply don't open. I have tried right clicking, I
    have tried 'open with' but no luck.

    Can you help?

  5. #5
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Lost XL on XP upgrade

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:37:01 -0800, "Michgibs"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Hank - sorry I didn't explain very well.
    >I previously ranwindows ME (preloaded on the PC) for which I purchased an XP
    >upgrade.
    >Word and excel were already preloaded on the machine (I think they were 97
    >or 98 versions). However, once I loaded XP, they won't work. When i double
    >click on the icons, they simply don't open. I have tried right clicking, I
    >have tried 'open with' but no luck.
    >
    >Can you help?

    Not very much, I'm afraid.

    I'm aware of a couple of instances where upgrading Windows has played
    merry havoc with existing Office installations, but the ones that I
    know about revolve around Outlook. However in all cases MS's advice is
    the same; reinstall the Office application. (Which I'd definitely have
    done when doing an upgrade from ME to XP anyway; they're VERY
    different animals in most respects.)

    I know you said that the applications came pre-installed, but if the
    vendor was legit he should have given you the disks. Only advice I can
    give is to blow away the Office installation and reinstall.

    If you don't have the disks, but you registered the software, you MAY
    be able to get a replacement disk from Microsoft. I have a colleague
    who did that for Office 97 when his original set of floppies started
    to die. (They supplied him with a replacement CD-ROM at notional cost,
    but this was a LONG time ago.) Whether MS still supplies disks for
    software which is that old (and no longer supported) is, however,
    questionable.

    (It would have been 97 rather than 98. 98 was a Mac product except,
    just to confuse things, for Outlook 98, which was released in
    Windows.)