joining to worksheets or filtering not sure of correct terminology

  1. #1
    MG
    Guest

    joining to worksheets or filtering not sure of correct terminology

    Hi

    I have two worksheets that I want to join like i can do in an access
    database
    The first is called Items and the Second is called Winners
    Items contains about 1000 items and each row has a unique Item Number
    Winners contains the same unique Item numbers but only about 100 of the
    Items.
    I want to join these worksheets where they intersect, that is the unique
    item number, and combine into a third sheet.
    I haev been abel to import both these two sheets into access and then create
    a relationship between them and then export the query back to excel, but
    this is taking me ages, and I woud liek to do this much quicker as I have a
    bout 50 sets of data sheets to combine.
    Anybody have any words of wisdom for a relative excel novice?
    Thanks

    --
    --------------------
    Michael Guthrie

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: joining to worksheets or filtering not sure of correct terminology

    Michael

    I think you can probably use VLOOKUP. If you need a separate sheet, copy
    the Winners data to the new sheet and then, in columns to the right of the
    Winners table, add VLOOKUP entries to link to the data on the Items sheet.

    I'm not sure why you need a separate sheet to combine the data but that's
    your choice. You could probably automate this by recording a macro as you
    carry out the actions.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    MG
    Guest

    Re: joining to worksheets or filtering not sure of correct terminology

    you're right and it doesnt have to be in a third sheet
    and i have since disocvered that vlokup is the way to do it
    and i appreciate your repsinse whihc helps me to confirm this
    whatt a great function just what i was looking to do, i knew there had to be
    a way and thats it for sure
    cheers

    --
    Michael Guthrie