Normalizing data formula?

  1. #1
    Jessica
    Guest

    Normalizing data formula?

    I am trying to normalize data sets in Excel to total 100%. I'm wondering if
    there is a formula that can do this without having to correct each cell.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    Is this what you are looking for?

    Example: 5 numbers in cells A1:A5
    =sum(A1:A5) in A6

    =A1*100/$A$6 in B1: copy down to B5

    This will scale each number in A1:A5 proportionately to the others so that they total 100 (which would appear if you summed B1:B5 and put it in B6).

    Alf

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Normalizing data formula?

    Let's say the numbers are in G1:G20
    1)In some blank cell (say Z1) enter =SUM(G1:G20)
    2)Copy Z1;keep Z1 the active cell and use Edit|Paste Special ->Value
    3)Copy Z1; select G1:G20 and use Edit | Paste Special -> Divide
    Your numbers no add to 1; format them % if you wish
    OR in step ! use =SUM(G1:G20)/100 and now you numbers all add to 100

    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme