Custom format a text cell with square brackets: [ ] ?

  1. #1
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Custom format a text cell with square brackets: [ ] ?

    Is it possible to format a text cell so that the user can just type in
    a text reference from a catalogue - i.e., letters of the alphabet -
    but that Excel then puts in square brackets?

    i.e., rather than typing in [A1], the user types in A1 and Excel shows
    the cell contents as [A1}.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Custom format a text cell with square brackets: [ ] ?

    Select the cells in which you want the brackets
    Choose Format>Cells
    On the Number tab, choose Custom
    In the text box, type: "["@"]"
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    StargateFan
    Guest

    Re: Custom format a text cell with square brackets: [ ] ?

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:05:00 -0500, Debra Dalgleish
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Select the cells in which you want the brackets
    >Choose Format>Cells
    >On the Number tab, choose Custom
    >In the text box, type: "["@"]"
    >Click OK

    Excellent! This works perfectly. I just fixed the template and the
    actual spreadsheet I was working on.

    <sigh> Guys, you're the best. You make me look _so_ good; I couldn't
    do it without all this help. <g> But more importantly, I get my jobs
    done with maximum efficiency and minimum fuss. I _love_ it! <g>

    Thanks!