Set default in auto fill options, I always want to copy cell, som.

  1. #1
    OSHAman
    Guest

    Set default in auto fill options, I always want to copy cell, som.

    When I use excel to do registration, I enter customers address and want to
    click and pull down that address into cells below, but when I do the address
    number increases in value. I can go into auto fill options and change it, but
    I want it to always select copy cell and default back to it. On this spread
    sheet. I have some colums that default to copy cells and other colums that
    when I try to drag a number it increases in value because it defaults to fill
    series. How do i change this?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Set default in auto fill options, I always want to copy cell,som.

    When you select a single cell that contains a number, then drag the Fill
    Handle, the default behaviour is to copy.

    When the cell contains a date, or text with a number at the end of a
    portion of the text (e.g. 123 Main Street), the default is to fill the
    series.

    To override either behaviour, press the Ctrl key as you drag the Fill
    Handle. Release the mouse button, then release Ctrl key.
    (Note: you can press the Ctrl button at any time during the AutoFill
    process, so if you start to drag, and the autofill isn't doing what you
    want, press the Ctrl key.)

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Set default in auto fill options, I always want to copy cell, som.

    Alternate method...

    Right-click on the cell fill handle, drag and release then select "Copy Cells"
    or "Fill Series".

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Buda, TX
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2016

    Re: Set default in auto fill options, I always want to copy cell, som.

    A third alternative is to filter your data, even creating dummy row to filter out will work, as this will change the default to "Copy Cells".