XP Install question

  1. #1
    Doug
    Guest

    XP Install question

    Hello,

    I'll try to keep this as short as possible and still make sense. Here
    goes... I have a friend who had 6 Dell computers networked at a business.
    The business had folded and this friend now has one of these computers to
    use at home. It has Windows XP Pro installed. Anyway, this installation of
    XP really needs to be reinstalled. It is a mess. I do have the product key
    code that is pasted to the side of the machine.

    I do not have the original disc for this installation of XP. This person
    says after looking everywhere, it can't be found anywhere. I'm sure it is a
    legitimate copy of XP installed. At any rate, I've read where you can
    reinstall XP without going through the activation if you copy a couple of
    folders, and if the hardware hasn't changed. Nothing has changed in this
    computer since it's been new, so that's not an issue.

    My question is, can I use the copy of Windows XP Home that I have for my
    Dell, install it on this machine using their product key found on the side
    of the machine? I'm assuming not, especially since my copy is XP Home and
    what was originally on this machine is XP Pro. Is there anyway to do this?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: XP Install question

    Doug

    Wrong news group for this question.

    This is an Excel NG.

    Try over in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP