how do you search a range of cells...

  1. #1
    Xanadude
    Guest

    how do you search a range of cells...

    I am working on a sports schedule worksheet. I want to use a variable so I
    can change the schedule from year to year without having to reprogram it.

    What I want to do is create a formula where it checks the full team name in
    D5 and compares it to the master list of team names listed in A1:A32, then
    take the corresponding cell B1:B32 (the adjacent list of shortened names) to
    enter the results in E5.

    If I can get an example with and without a macro, I'd appreciate it.

  2. #2
    JMB
    Guest

    RE: how do you search a range of cells...

    Enter in E5.

    =VLOOKUP(D5,$A$1:$B$32,2,FALSE)

    don't bother with the macro.

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: how do you search a range of cells...

    Hi!

    Here's the "without a macro" version.

    In E5 enter this formula:

    =IF(D5="","",VLOOKUP(D5,A1:B32,2,0))