How to write an EMPTY cell?

  1. #1
    Frank News
    Guest

    How to write an EMPTY cell?

    As part of a formula (or as part of Copy->PasteSpecial, I need to overwrite
    a column of cells with either data or leave empty.
    Example, =(if a<>b,c,"") - where c is a number - doesn't work because it
    puts a blank in the cell.
    Example, =(if a<>b,c,0) - where c is a number - doesn't work because it puts
    a zero in the cell.

    I don't want to use Tools->Options to show the cells as empty rather than
    0.00 because that will be so for the whole sheet, not just the one column I
    am worrying about.

    I am trying to update a protected sheet automatically from a second sheet
    and only the 2 columns I am supposed to enter data into are unprotected (can
    be changed). I have the whole thing working now with a macro except for the
    cells which are supposed to remain empty. If I use "" then it messes up a
    subsequent formula, and if I use 0 then it looks wrong (I want to place the
    value in each cell of the column only if it meets a certain condition, else
    leave it empty.

    Is there a way to make a cell empty as opposed to just looking empty?
    I tried to replace all 0 with <delete key> but that didn't work ...

    Looking for ideas ...

    TIA

    Fran

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: How to write an EMPTY cell?

    "Frank News" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...

    > As part of a formula (or as part of Copy->PasteSpecial, I need to
    > overwrite a column of cells with either data or leave empty.
    > Example, =(if a<>b,c,"") - where c is a number - doesn't work

    because
    > it puts a blank in the cell.
    > Example, =(if a<>b,c,0) - where c is a number - doesn't work because
    > it puts a zero in the cell.
    >
    > I don't want to use Tools->Options to show the cells as empty rather
    > than
    > 0.00 because that will be so for the whole sheet, not just the one
    > column I am worrying about.
    >
    > I am trying to update a protected sheet automatically from a second
    > sheet and only the 2 columns I am supposed to enter data into are
    > unprotected (can be changed). I have the whole thing working now
    > with a macro except for the cells which are supposed to remain

    empty.
    > If I use "" then it messes up a subsequent formula, and if I use 0
    > then it looks wrong (I want to place the value in each cell of the
    > column only if it meets a certain condition, else leave it empty.
    >
    > Is there a way to make a cell empty as opposed to just looking

    empty?
    > I tried to replace all 0 with <delete key> but that didn't work ...
    >
    > Looking for ideas ...
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Fran

    Hi Frank,

    If I understand correctly, then you want a function to return a NULL
    value.

    Unfortunately, no such worksheet function exists. This has been, in
    my opinion, a serious omission in excel for many years.

    As you correctly point out, an empty string ("") is not the same thing
    as nothing or a NULL value, and nor is the numeric value zero.

    As a workaround, could you use 'Not applicable' perhaps?

    =(if a<>b,c,NA())

    This works well in charting situations for example.

    HTH,

    Alan.

  3. #3
    Frank News
    Guest

    Re: How to write an EMPTY cell?

    Nope. I do need the cell to be NULL or EMPTY. The cells are formatted as
    Numeric with 2 decimals and I can't change that either.

    I am also surprised there seems to be no way to do this. There are many
    references to empty cells but they really mean one that just looks empty.

    Frank Livni
    [email protected]
    Multi-State Systems, Inc.
    (916) 966-1519

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How to write an EMPTY cell?

    Hi!

    You said:

    > If I use "" then it messes up a subsequent formula

    If that's the only reason you don't want to use "" then you should be able
    to deal with that in your subsequent formula.

    What is that formula? (and be very specific)

    Biff

  5. #5

    Re: How to write an EMPTY cell?

    Another option is to use format|Conditional formatting. Make the font match the
    fill if the value is 0. (white on white?).

    Or maybe you could adjust the subsequent formulas:

    Instead of =a1+b1+c1, you could use: =sum(a1:c1)

    Instead of =A1+d1+g99, you could use: =n(a1)+n(d1)+n(g99)

  6. #6
    Frank News
    Guest

    Re: How to write an EMPTY cell?

    My problem is that the worksheet is protected and I cannot change anything
    else on it.
    It was built for someone to enter the data manually - but I have about 2000
    rows of data, with only some rows changing on a daily basis, and want to
    automate the process as it is not only time-consuming, but probe to errors
    if manually updated. It is a column of prices that change. The subsequent
    formulas will still work if I use if(a<>b,c,0) and then go to
    Tools->Options->Zeroes and uncheck display zeroes. Then the sheet looks
    fine (even though the cells may contain zeroes). I am not happy about that
    as it will also suppress the zero display in other parts of the sheet.

    Can't change format - it is locked.

    Frank

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How to write an EMPTY cell?

    Frank News wrote...
    >I am trying to update a protected sheet automatically from a second sheet
    >and only the 2 columns I am supposed to enter data into are unprotected (can
    >be changed). I have the whole thing working now with a macro except for the
    >cells which are supposed to remain empty. If I use "" then it messes up a
    >subsequent formula, and if I use 0 then it looks wrong (I want to place the
    >value in each cell of the column only if it meets a certain condition, else
    >leave it empty.
    >
    >Is there a way to make a cell empty as opposed to just looking empty?
    >I tried to replace all 0 with <delete key> but that didn't work ...

    If you're using macros to fill these cells, you have two alternatives.

    cellref.Value = Empty
    cellref.ClearContents

    Both work just fine on unlocked cells in protected worksheets.

  8. #8
    Frank News
    Guest

    Re: How to write an EMPTY cell?

    Oh, now that sounds promising! I'll let you know ...
    Thanks a bunch.

    Frank
    news:[email protected]...