how do i enfoce a"auto-tab or jump" to next cell

  1. #1
    Mike in Bangkok
    Guest

    how do i enfoce a"auto-tab or jump" to next cell

    I have limited data entry in validation to one character. Now i want that the
    moment the one character is entered the cusrser to jump to the next cell.
    How ?
    Also - how to i limit data entry to letters only ? I can see only text in
    validation - but that allows numbers as well.

  2. #2
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Guest

    Re: how do i enfoce a"auto-tab or jump" to next cell

    Hi Mike,

    > Also - how to i limit data entry to letters only ?

    If the cell is cell A1, use this custom formula for the validation:

    =MAX(1*(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:" & LEN(A1))),1)))))=0

    Regards,

    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP
    http://www.jkp-ads.com

  3. #3
    Mike in Bangkok
    Guest

    Re: how do i enfoce a"auto-tab or jump" to next cell

    Hi Jan, thanks - it avoids the numbers now. But it does not limit the number
    of charaters to one !!! (

  4. #4
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Guest

    Re: how do i enfoce a"auto-tab or jump" to next cell

    Hi Mike,

    > But it does not limit the number
    > of charaters to one !!! (

    O yes, silly me. Like this:

    If the cell is cell A1, use this custom formula for the validation:

    =AND(NOT(ISNUMBER(VALUE(A1))),LEN(A1)<=1)

    Regards,

    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP
    http://www.jkp-ads.com

  5. #5
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: how do i enfoce a"auto-tab or jump" to next cell

    right click sheet tab and click view code
    in the new window on the left side select worksheet
    ignore the default code coming up
    introuce this code

    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End Sub

    note <change> not <selection change>

    now go to sheet 1(or any sheet ) and select the cell which has the
    validation.
    as soon as you select one of the valid list the cursor automatically will go
    to next below cell

    change code to suit you
    hope this works for you
    mine excel 2000 windows 98SE

    --
    remove $$$ from email addresss to send email
    =======================

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    benlee
    Guest

    RE: how do i enfoce a"auto-tab or jump" to next cell

    Mike,
    It sounds like you know how to limit the number of characters that can be
    entered into a cell.
    Could you tell me how to do that please??

    Thanks