condition Lookup help

  1. #1
    Paul T
    Guest

    condition Lookup help

    Hi All

    Being an excel novice I might be going at this the wrong way but...

    I am trying to look up 2 values from sheet one and find the answer on sheet
    2 but can't work it out.

    Find value (date)&(team) from sheet1 and lookup the result on sheet 2 (F2)

    E.G look for date 13/8/05 and team Arsenal from sheet 1 on sheet 2 and
    display result in column 6 (F2) on sheet 2

    Sheet1
    Date = i.e. A1 13/08/2005
    Team = i.e. A2 "Arsenal"

    Sheet 2
    DATE HOME AWAY score h score a h result
    a result = column headings
    A2 B2 C2 D2 E2
    F2 G2
    13/08/05 Arsenal Bolton 1 0
    HW AL

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Tried VLOOKUP but I can only get it to look for one condition i.e. date I
    can't do both!

    Any help, pointers greatly appreciated

    Paul T

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    re: condition Lookup help

    =INDEX(Sheet2!$F$2:$F$1000,MATCH($A1&$A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$1000&Sheet2!$B$2:$B$
    10000,0))

    This is an array formula, so commir with Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Paul T
    Guest

    re: condition Lookup help

    Hi Bob

    Thank for your help,

    I am nearly there!

    Got the 1st 3 lines to work (all spot on) but the rest are #N/A

    Looked at and even retyped from scratch but still #N/A on others

    Any ideas why?

    Thanks again.

    Paul

    news:OQpO%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    re: condition Lookup help

    That means the MATCH failed Paul, which suggests that the data has something
    that isn't obvious, such as spaces in the names.

    Post say the first 6, both sheets, so that I can see if I get the same.

    RP

    "Paul T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bob
    >
    > Thank for your help,
    >
    > I am nearly there!
    >
    > Got the 1st 3 lines to work (all spot on) but the rest are #N/A
    >
    > Looked at and even retyped from scratch but still #N/A on others
    >
    > Any ideas why?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Paul
    >

    > "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:OQpO%[email protected]...

    =INDEX(Sheet2!$F$2:$F$1000,MATCH($A1&$A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$1000&Sheet2!$B$2:$B$
    > > 10000,0))
    > >
    > > This is an array formula, so commir with Ctrl-Shift-Enter.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > RP
    > >

    > > "Paul T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Hi All
    > >>
    > >> Being an excel novice I might be going at this the wrong way but...
    > >>
    > >> I am trying to look up 2 values from sheet one and find the answer on

    > > sheet
    > >> 2 but can't work it out.
    > >>
    > >> Find value (date)&(team) from sheet1 and lookup the result on sheet 2
    > >> (F2)
    > >>
    > >> E.G look for date 13/8/05 and team Arsenal from sheet 1 on sheet 2 and
    > >> display result in column 6 (F2) on sheet 2
    > >>
    > >> Sheet1
    > >> Date = i.e. A1 13/08/2005
    > >> Team = i.e. A2 "Arsenal"
    > >>
    > >> Sheet 2
    > >> DATE HOME AWAY score h score a h
    > >> result
    > >> a result = column headings
    > >> A2 B2 C2 D2

    E2

  5. #5
    Paul T
    Guest

    re: condition Lookup help

    Hi Bob

    Sussed it - thanks to your suggestion.

    Spaces in name &/or after !!! (Had to re-do all names so all same format)

    And it worked a treat !

    Thank you very much.

    Kind Regards
    Paul

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    re: condition Lookup help

    Good stuff Paul. Gooners man?

    Bob

  7. #7
    Paul T
    Guest

    re: condition Lookup help

    Hi Bob

    No For my sins... Forest :-) Who are venturing in unknown territory ...
    unfortunately it's called League 1

    I mentioned Arsenal as 1st team alphabetically! in the prem league, I am
    working on.

    Cheers
    Paul

    news:%[email protected]...