Someone must have asked this before but I can't find it!

  1. #1

    Someone must have asked this before but I can't find it!

    Being a relative Excel newcomer I,m not sure of all the terminology so
    may have used the wrong terms when searching. What I am trying to do is
    create a worksheet in which a cell shows one of 3 values (LOW,AVERAGE
    or HIGH) according to the value in the cell to the left of it, which
    itself is the sum of the 2 preceding cells.
    To be more specific, cell D6 is Men, E6 is Women and F6
    is"=SUM(D6,E6)". I then want G6 to show "LOW" if F6 is less than 5,
    "AVERAGE" if it is between 5 and 20, and "HIGH" if it is over 20.
    If anyone understands the question and can help, I'd be very grateful.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Being a relative Excel newcomer I,m not sure of all the terminology so
    may have used the wrong terms when searching. What I am trying to do is
    create a worksheet in which a cell shows one of 3 values (LOW,AVERAGE
    or HIGH) according to the value in the cell to the left of it, which
    itself is the sum of the 2 preceding cells.
    To be more specific, cell D6 is Men, E6 is Women and F6
    is"=SUM(D6,E6)". I then want G6 to show "LOW" if F6 is less than 5,
    "AVERAGE" if it is between 5 and 20, and "HIGH" if it is over 20.
    If anyone understands the question and can help, I'd be very grateful.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi turkishjim

    Assuming your first data is in row 7, then in G6 enter this formula -

    =IF(F7<5,"Low",IF(F7>20,"High","Average")), this will return Low if the result is anything up to 4.99999..............., Average if the result is anything from 5 to 20.99999................. and High for anything from 21 up
    Paul

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Someone must have asked this before but I can't find it!

    Use nested IF() functions
    =IF(F6<5,"LOW",IF(F6>20,"HIGH","AVERAGE"))

    Jerry

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Someone must have asked this before but I can't find it!

    In G6

    =IF(F6>=20,"HIGH",IF(F6>=5,"AVERAGE","LOW"))

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Someone must have asked this before but I can't find it!

    Many thanks to both of you: a great help!