Extracting an exact phrase from a Cell

  1. #1

    Extracting an exact phrase from a Cell

    I have column A with 600 entries of Text such as:

    Invalid cfg: DIMXPS-G3 REQUIRES MG MONITOR >= 1

    Some cells would say "MONITOR" some would say "Keyboard" and some would say "Speakers".

    How can I extract entries with only Monitor in the text?

  2. #2
    Netherlands Waddinxveen
    What do you mean by extract?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mazalam

    I have column A with 600 entries of Text such as:

    Invalid cfg: DIMXPS-G3 REQUIRES MG MONITOR >= 1

    Some cells would say "MONITOR" some would say "Keyboard" and some would say "Speakers".

    How can I extract entries with only Monitor in the text?
    Use Data\autofilter onyour range and filter using Custom\contains MONITOR
    Ilan

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnereb
    What do you mean by extract?

    I want to flag the adjacent column if the particular phrase, "Monitor", Spkrs etc, exist in Column A

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanr01
    Use Data\autofilter onyour range and filter using Custom\contains MONITOR
    Ilan
    What version of Excel does that? I can only see "Data" then "Filter" and then two options:
    Auto Filter
    Advanced Filter

  6. #6

    Re: Extracting an exact phrase from a Cell

    Select your range (all the range--not just a column or two).

    Then apply
    Data|filter|autofilter

    You'll see that the top row in each column in that selection has a dropdown
    arrow in it.

    You can use that dropdown to show just the stuff you want to see.

    There's an option in that dropdown list called "custom".
    Choose that
    scroll down the list until you see Contains
    type in Monitor
    click ok

    And tada, you only see the rows that have Monitor in that column.

    If you wanted, you could select those visible rows and copy them. Then paste
    them into a new worksheet.

    Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions at:
    http://contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html