Batch conversion of XP files to 97 files

  1. #1
    AG
    Guest

    Batch conversion of XP files to 97 files

    Is anyone aware of a tool to convert multiple Excel XP files into an earlier
    version?

  2. #2

    Re: Batch conversion of XP files to 97 files

    The fileformat for xl97, xl2k, xl2002 and xl2003 are all the same.

    xl97 should be able to open the file.

    But if there were features used that were added after xl97, then they wouldn't
    be available in xl97. (But opening should work fine.)

  3. #3
    AG
    Guest

    RE: Batch conversion of XP files to 97 files

    Thanks Dave, I must have been suffering from a “senior moment.”
    I have many macros written in Excel 5 format, so I keep a copy of that
    version along with Excel 97 on a backup machine. But I loaded xl5 after xl97
    so my file association switched to xl5 and when I tried to open an XP
    version, I got an invalid format message. I forgot I needed to change my
    primary files association back to xl97.