how do i set up a three dimensional table

  1. #1
    qadie
    Guest

    how do i set up a three dimensional table

    How do I set up a three dimensional table in order to easily get the totals
    based on both rows and columns? Names will be on the left as will be
    categories of type of volunteer work. Columns will have months of the year
    as well as Totals for each category. I tried using Pivot Tables but they
    work off of a 2 dimensional table. I know this must be easy but I just
    can't figure it out at 2 a.m. Thanks!

  2. #2
    topola
    Guest

    Re: how do i set up a three dimensional table

    I'm not sure whether I properly understand your question 'cause you
    haven't provided any example of how your raw data is organized in the
    worksheet. I assume what you need is a simple Pivot Table with two
    fields inserted as in a ROW {Names, Type_Of_Volunteer} or adversly
    {Type_Of_Volunteer, Names}, one in a COLUMN i.e. Month_Of_Year and in
    DATA Sum of Numbers. To see both fields Names and Type_Of_Volunteer
    while being on the first field you should use Show Detail from
    RightMouseMenu > Group and Show Detail.

    HTH,
    Tomek Polak, http://vba.blog.onet.pl

  3. #3
    qadie
    Guest

    Re: how do i set up a three dimensional table

    I apologize for the confusion. I have Name, then type_of_work performed
    (phone desk, garden club, speaker, etc) on the rows and months of the year on
    the columns. I need to be able to be able to find totals for the
    type_of_work by month, monthly totals for all type(s)_of_work by volunteer,
    as well as yearly totals. So it's really a 3 dim array (name, type_of_work,
    month). I need to keep it in Excel so that it can be maintained by anyone in
    the future if I'm not available.
    Thank you for your help!

  4. #4
    topola
    Guest

    Re: how do i set up a three dimensional table

    So what you are basicly missing is years.
    I would just group the months in the columns and you are dane.
    Select 12 months names of the year in the heading
    on your pivot table , right click: Group and Show Details > Group.
    Repeat this for each year.
    A field "month2" should be created. You can rename it "Years".
    Now you can show or hide details for "Years".

    Tomek P.