for the experts

  1. #1
    Herman
    Guest

    for the experts

    In cells A2:A9 are the following names/titles #1 ,#2, #3, #4, #5 ,#N1, #N2
    & #O2

    in cells b2:b9 and then c2:c9 and then d2:d9 and so on and so I would like
    to be able to save some typing amd have an auto check done. As it is right
    now I type all the text and sometimes I put the wrong text in the wrong cell,
    so no matter what text I enter in a cell the corresponding/related text will
    get entered in the correct corresponding cell.

    for example
    when I enter text xxxP4 in cell B2 automatically have xxxP1 show up in
    cell B5
    when I enter text xxxHN1 in cell B3 automatically have xxxG2 show up in
    cell B7
    when I enter text xxxGN2 in cell B9 automatically have xxxHO1 show up in
    cell B8
    when I enter text xxxH3 in cell B6 automatically have xxxG5 show up in cell
    B4
    the same would then apply to each suscessive column if I enter text for that
    column, I could enter any one of the possible 21 combinations in any cell and
    would like that the corresponding combination autofills in the corresponding
    cell

    xxx will be anywhere from a 1 to 3 digit number with the potential for a
    alpha character at the end the range of xxx is 7A, 73A, 8A, 9A, 10, 11, 12,
    123, 1, 13, 2, 23, 3, 4, 43, 5, 53, 6, 63, 7, 73, 8, 83, 9, 93,

    whenever I put P in the text, a P shows up in the corresponding cell
    whenever I put a H in the text, a G shows up in the corresponding cell
    whenever I put a G in the text a H shows up in the corresponding cell

    there is also the potential for a letter to show up at the end of the
    entered text , B, N, O or R if it is at the end of the text in the entered
    cell it also has to show up in the autofilled cell.

    each column is a day of the week and I decide who does what with who on each
    day
    if I enter text in cell that is not part of the above it doesn't look for a
    match and leaves what I entered in the cell

    thanks for any assistance you can provide on this Herman

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: for the experts

    One way:

    Put this in your worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab
    and choose "View Code"):

    Dim vSuffArray As Variant
    Dim sTemp As String
    Dim i As Long
    vSuffArray = Array("1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "N1", "N2", "O2")
    With Target
    If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Not Intersect(.Cells, Range("2:9")) Is Nothing Then
    If UCase(.Text) Like "*[P|G|H]*" Then
    sTemp = UCase(Replace(Replace(UCase(.Text), _
    "G", "h"), "H", "g"))
    For i = UBound(vSuffArray) To 0 Step -1
    If Right(sTemp, Len(vSuffArray(i))) = _
    vSuffArray(i) Then
    sTemp = Left(sTemp, Len(sTemp) - _
    Len(vSuffArray(i))) & _
    vSuffArray(.Row - 2)
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Cells(i + 2, .Column) = sTemp
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    Exit For
    End If
    Next i
    End With
    End Sub

    Note that this would result in xxxHO2 in B8 if xxxGN2 is entered in B9,
    rather than xxxHO1. If you really want xxxHO1, then I'm not sure what
    algorithm you're using.

  3. #3
    Herman
    Guest

    Re: for the experts

    thanks for the info I'll give it a try over the weekend and let ya know how
    it works