count duplicates/total number of occurances

  1. #1
    Rishi Aggarwal
    Guest

    count duplicates/total number of occurances

    I need to create a report showing the total list of people and the occurances.

    Currently my list looks like the following:

    A1
    ADAM BROWN
    ADAM BROWN
    JOHN SMITH

    I need a report showing me the name and the total number of occurances e.g.

    A1 B1
    ADAM BROWN 2
    JOHN SMITH 1

    Please advise on how this could be done?

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: count duplicates/total number of occurances

    I think this is the easiest way:

    Select your list
    Data>Pivot Table
    Source: Excel List...Click Next
    Range: (already selected)...Click Next
    Click the [Layout] button
    ROW: Drag the Name field here
    (Dbl-click it and set subtotals to None)

    DATA: Drag the Name field here
    (If it doesn't change to Count of Name: Dbl-click it and set COUNT)

    Click [OK]
    Select a destination then click [Finish

    That will create the kind of list you're looking for.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    Rishi Aggarwal
    Guest

    RE: count duplicates/total number of occurances

    This is awesome !! Thanks.

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: count duplicates/total number of occurances

    Thanks for the feedback....I'm glad that worked for you.

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro